We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songkran - Water at Night?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
995 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Songkran - Water at Night?

I have never been in BKK during Songkran so I don't know what to expect (except I know I'll get wet). But do the water celebrations last all night? If I go out to dinner/bars after dark, will I still get wet?

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Songkran - Water at Night?

Hollywood,

Think wet, think very wet, think soaking wet.

Get the picture?

Now smile, this is all part of the tradition and lots of fun.

Then again some people hate it and stay indoors for a few days.

Happy covering

Giorgio Federico

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Songkran - Water at Night?

There is normally a cessation of hostilities in the night time, but there will likely still be rogue elements around and about.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Songkran - Water at Night?

In a very few areas, the top end of Silom being one, it can go on into the night, but most areas will be dry after dark.

london, uk
Level Contributor
31 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Songkran - Water at Night?

You'll need to avoid Silom, day and night, if you wish to stay dry. We found it impossible during the day to avoid a splashing walking between the BTS and our hotel (not in Silom area). The younger and fitter you are, the more likely you will be targetted!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Songkran - Water at Night?

Really difficult to avoid i find even at night and you get rogue drunk people targetting you if you are dressed up so thats probably worse.

We tried in a group once to go out for a nice meal at Koi restaraunt all dressed up during songkran and thought after we would go to RCA a more upmarket locals club scene after BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!! LOL

Ended up being trapped in the street for hours,clothes completely ruined but an absolute great night my advice would be stay in your shorts and enjoy the festivities as they are intended with the great thai people and save your nice clothes for when its over.

6. Re: Songkran - Water at Night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:41