We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Got to know about the bombing in Hatyai recently. Feel so sorry to the victims. I've planned a trip to travel to Bangkok on Mid of May..Wondering is it safe to travel there? *dilemma & worry.

Don't really wish to cancel the trip.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Only you can decide if you want to travel or not, no one can tell if there will be any bombings in any place but it' not just Thailand, remember Mumbai and Bali we are also going in May and wouldn't think about cancelling but we're all different.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Extreme caution needs to be exercised if you do plan to travel and stop down there...Many consular web sites have postings warning their nationals not to travel in certain provinces due to the ongoing terrorist activities...Remember this is the southern provinces we are talking about not Bangkok,Phuket,Samui, Chiang Mai,Pattaya or Issan.Here is what the Australian government has issued to its nationals.

smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…Thailand

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,463 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

The recent bombings took place in the far south where there has been trouble for many years. None of that has had any impact or been related to any problems in Bangkok. Just take normal common sense precautions as you would at home and you should be fine.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,595 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

What is interesting, MCOT is printing "scary" stories:

www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/349640.html

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,463 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

I suppose they are trying to provide reassurance but it probably has the opposite effect. Smacks of back protection rather than public protection. :-(

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

"I've planned a trip to travel to Bangkok on Mid of May.."

Bangkok is a very long way from Hat Yai. The bombing there related to an insurgency which affects Yala, Narathiwas, Pattani, and parts of Songkhla (where Hat Yai is located). There have never, so far, been any incidents outside those areas related to the insurgency.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Hi,

Bangkok is as Safe as any big city in the world . Don't read too much the media story regarding the South Thailand. I shall be visiting Bangkok later this year

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,379 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Bangkok is a world away and receives many foreign visitors from all over the world. I can hardly wait to visit it again.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
504 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Distance from BKK to Hat Yai

mapcrow.info/Distance_between_Bangkok_TH_and…

Malaysia
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Bangkok Safe to Travel?

Thank you so much for the replies.

Feel at least more comfort hearing from you guys...

Well appreciated. I can now start my packing ;-)