We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sois on suk

Illinois
Level Contributor
426 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
sois on suk

Hello, fellow posters-

quick question i can't seem to find the anwser to. when peope speak of lower suk... street,. do they mean farther south, or lower soi numbers? I read an interesting explaination of sois that federiciota posted and it helped me alot, but it didn't explain what was meant by lower sak...street. because it seems that going farther south gives you a higher soi number, and by going north (northwest, i guess) you get a lower soi number; and i think i read that the wilder places were located on the lower sois??? like starting with soi 4 or something?? thanks from a bangkok newbie-grams98

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sois on suk

Hi,

Lower Sukhumvit means the lower soi number starting soi 1 through soi 21.

This is just a roughly defined the heavy concentration of tourist ghetto and business serving the tourist industry. Soi 4 or soi Nana is popular because it has wall to wall bars and restaurants , hotels. Bangkok is a huge metropolitan , the lower Suk is just a very small area . I like to stay around the lower soi Suk just for conveniennce. If you Go to soi Thonglor # 55 , there are more authentic Thai's restaurants, street foods and high end clubs .

London
Level Contributor
984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sois on suk

Hi Grams 98

My understanding is that Lower Sukhumvit usually refers to that stretch of Sukhumvit Road that goes from Soi 01 to Soi 21 (asoke) . For some it includes up to soi 63

here is a map up to Soi 63

guidetothailand.com/maps-thailand/bangkok-lo…

I have also located the following if it helps;

Sukhumvit Road is major road in Thailand, just over 400 km in length.

It is one of the four major highways of Thailand.

It begins in Bangkok, as a continuation of Rama I Road and Phloen Chit Road roads.

In Bangkok Sukhumvit Road serves as a main commercial street, and this section is often congested, even at late evening hours.

The Expressway has an exit at Soi 1.

Soi is similar to what we mean in the west to a side street.

The Sois are numbered from West to East, with odd numbers branching off North-East of Sukhumvit, and even numbers branching off South-West.

Sukhumvit Soi 1 and Sukhumvit Soi 63 is popular as residential area

Rentals tend to be higher in the even numbered streets between Soi 8 and Soi 28 and in the odd numbered streets between Soi 15 and Soi 39.

The areas of Soi Cowboy (between Soi 21 Asok and Soi 23) and Nana Entertainment Plaza (Soi 4) are packed full of go go bars and other places catering for the night life.

The area of Thong Lor is quite attractive and with increasingly upscale places where many trendy locals (and us visitors too of course) will meet for drinks and something to eat.

I hope this helps.

Giorgio Federico

Illinois
Level Contributor
426 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sois on suk

thanks to you both--that really clear it u for me--i appreciate all the info and the links--just 12 more months to wait!!!! grams98

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,849 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sois on suk

Every main road in Thailand has numbered sois branching out from it. Some are just little lanes and some are major streets in their own right. For instance Sukhumvit soi 55 is a major road called Thonglor, and Soi 21 is Asoke. And they in turn have sois and sub-sois. So one speaks of Thonglor soi 13, for example. In the case of Sukhumvit, odd-numbered sois are to the north and even numbers to the south. If you know the name of a main road and the soi number - or even the number of a nearby soi - then it's easy to get around by taxi. Every driver knows where "Samsen soi 3" is, for example (the address of a popular riverside restaurant), but may not be able to find the funky street number in the postal address.

Here's a very detailled map of Sukhumvit: kobayashi.co.th/Thaigo/…sukhumvit.htm

5. Re: sois on suk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:41