We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Hiya,

It will be my first time in Bangkok from May 4 - May 8 (can spend longer if needed) and I will be travelling solo.

I've been scouring the hotel reviews and I can't quite seem to find the "perfect" place for me. Wondering if you Bangkok experts can help a gal out? :)

Here are my preferences:

- No more than $50ish CAD/USD night if possible, but cheaper is always better.

- Walking distance to BTS or MTS or chao praya express boat stops.

- Fairly thai/authentic feeling (if that's possible? not looking for a cookie-cutter chain type hotel)

- Friendly & clean

- Would prefer my own private room/bath but I can be flexible on that too

- Would prefer somewhere that had thai owners/staff and thai food

- Someplace safe(ish) for the solo female traveller...but perhaps also that has common areas to meet others and chat.

FYI I'm a 35-year old married female so am definitely not looking for night life. I'm looking to walk the city, take in cultural sites, see and meet local people, chat to a few travellers, etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Soi 11 in Sukhumvit is a good area to walk around. The lower numbered sois have more budget selection. The higher end hotels are in the higher numbered sois. (*Book 2 different areas when arriving & leaving Thailand than you get a different taste & see more.)

*I think this place checks your boxes. Suk 11 Guest House/Hostel on soi 11 which is walking distance to Nana BTS. The decor is done up to resemble an old Thai Village on a lower budget. They have a web site. See reviews and yes, I've stayed there.

There is no safety box but not a problem. It is suggested to bring a pad lock for added security on your door. (I've done this and it works well.) And yes, the doors lock but added security never hurt anyone. Not to worry... really well run by a Thai family.

You can request an en-suite (private bathroom inside of room.) If you stay there request a room on the second floor – there’s no lift.

They may still have this... It’s not advertised online (on their web site) but they have a drop box for late check outs & different things. Optional: there's a drop box for dinner by written request: Thai dinner at 5pm for a small fee of course.

Here's another option:

Om Yim Lodge in Silom area. Silom is a smaller area. Located beside Chong Nonsi BTS but you don’t hear the BTS from inside your room. This is the next station after Saladaeng BTS. They have a web site. There's a night market (Silom Night Market) in this area.

Lemon Seed Rooms. Located n Patunam area. I love this place! This is the shopping area. This is place is a little gem as are the staff. Only a 5 minute walk to Sky Train stations (Ratchathewi) and (Phaya Thai BTS). Best Pad Thai ever & breakfast is included.

For BTS… walk straight to the end of the soi, turn right & walk towards the junction. Cross the street to the left just before the junction … don’t keep going straight. (When you cross you’ll see the steps to the BTS straight ahead in the distance.) And there is also street food stalls set up with tables & chairs at the steps to the BTS.

Really easy access for a taxi coming & leaving for the airport! Only 40 min to airport. Great for your last night in Thailand. See reviews

Another option…

Bally Studio Suite Sukhumvit in soi 20. Under $50. (The price for this one can depend on the site you book through.) I booked through hotel.com and paid $43.73 peak season - loved it!

Make sure you don't confuse it with the same name in Silom (Soi 20 is about 15 min walk to Soi Asoke.) Awesome little pool and great area to walk around. See reviews.

You mentioned Klong Taxi:

Note: The BTS does not go near the Khao San Road area. The Klong Taxis do go here. (You either love this area or hate it. I hated it.) Khaosan Road is the hub for the biggest mix of ethnic back-packers from all over the world.

Khao San is in the Banglamphu district of Bangkok located on Rattanakosin Island in the old city.) The Kings Palace is located here. The big Chakuchak week-end market is also in this area. Note: You can easily take BTS to Chakuchak outdoor market from Sukhumvit.

That gives you a few good ideas & places to start… to start…

Edited: 22 April 2012, 16:00
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

That's what I love about these forums differing opinions.

I like the Khao Sans rd area which is chilled out some good restaurants,live music but hate Sukhumvit which is too busy,seedy & touristy.

For you Briana and what you are looking for I would stay in the riverside area of Bangkok. There's some cheaper/mid range hotels like Bossotel, Ibis Riverside and many more.

By the riverside you will have the BTS at Saphon Taksin and the boats taking you up the Chao Phraya river taking you to many of the tourist attractions on your doorstep.

Correct me if I'm wrong HotToffee but Chatuchak weekend Market is nowhere near the Banglamphu area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

OOPS! You're right. I was thinking of the Grand Palace. As I recall I did taxi to Chakuchak (I forget how much but ...wasn't a huge amount or a long ride) from soi Rambuttri (one block parallel to Khao San.) "If you love it - love it! If you don't - don't!"

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Thanks very much for your replies toffee and rover! I'm going to check things out. I take it from both responses that tastes are very subjective and a bit of what I'll have to do is find what works for me when I'm there. I appreciate the tips though. I'll try to report back once things are sorted. FYI I'll now be there mid-June instead - had to change my travel plans.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

This might suit:

www.phranakorn-nornlen.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Phra-Nakorn looks lovely!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

From what I've read PN seems to be a very friendly place.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Hi Briana, Have a look at the Loy La Long, http://www.loylalong.com/. We've booked it for a Bangkok stay; haven't been there yet so can't comment too much, but judging by the friendliness of the owners in their quick replies, and the lovely website, I'd say we're going to be pleased. It's situated on the river in Chinatown - looks great.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Hi Briana,

$50. is plenty in June. *This is slow season for hotels. - Hotels drop their prices in comparison to peak season.

It can be challenging to find a place in Bangkok $50. and under in peak season but you have an advantage going in June. The rates are cheaper. I was trying to stay within your maximum $50. budget. (Just to let you know I only post places I've stayed.)

Just to note: you do have to be thorough as some places are not as nice as their web site. Especially the budget hotel/guest houses. (I’m not referring to any of the hotels posted above.)

Remember to pack an umbrella. June is 1 month before monsoon. Expect some rain in Bangkok ...may-be every other day. I see you are only in Bangkok up to 4 days. Are you able to stay longer in other areas of Thailand? You may want to explore Koh Samui Island (Chewang Beach.) It would have the least rain at this time of year.

Phra-Nakorn is 2,200 THB = $70.75 That's not an area I'm familiar with.

Check the area... post it if you have to. It could be quite a distance from the BTS? Loy LaLong is 3,700 THB = $119.

Here’s a currency converter for you.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Good luck!

Edited: 23 April 2012, 14:10
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Remmendations please re: friendly thai hotel/b&b/hostel...

Thanks again everyone! :)

And thanks again, too, toffee :) I will definitely take a look more at your suggestions and really look at the areas, websites, reviews, availability, pricing, etc. Who knew this would be so much work?! :)

I'm actually trying to do a lot in a semi-short amount of time. Bangkok was really my "fly through" city and so have allocated a few days to check it out. I'll then be off to Siem Reap/Angor Wat probably for another 4ish days before flying to Saigon and then taking the train through Vietnam up through the north to Hanoi (staying, who knows, Nha Trang, Hue, Hoi An, etc etc along the way). I'm guessing that will be another 2-3 weeks (I'd prefer 3 but we'll see).

Then I'm off to India for the remainder of my time - about 6 to 8 weeks. I'll be spending 3 or 4 weeks of that time volunteering at a school in Tamil Nadu and then hopefully making my way north east through Kerala, over to Delhi/Agra/Jaipur etc. So I'm trying to pack a lot into a small amount of time and could only allocate a few days to Thailand.

Boo - if I could I'd be there 6 months and seeing everything and anything and at a more leisurely pace! :)

OH so PS - yes that means basically my whole trip will be in monsoon season. I'm going to have to get very comfortable with the rain. Ahh well, it's the only time I could get away that made sense in my life right now. If people can live and work during monsoon season, then I should be able to travel through it, right? :)

PPS. If it's super/really worth it, every so often I can stretch my budget up to $75/night....so if there's something in another price range you think I should definitely consider, feel free to let me know.

THANK YOU all!