We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

Canada
Level Contributor
337 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

I read the very helpful thread about doing International to Domestic connections at BKK (though the link to the pictures seems dead). However, it doesn't really address my situation.

I arrive at about 10pm (from Hong Kong) and don't depart for Chiang Mai until the next afternoon. It is booked as a single ticket and considered a connection (not a stop over) since it is less than 24 hours. I have been told (by the Thai Airways agent) that they can check my luggage all the way to Chiang Mai. It would be nice not to have to deal with my luggage (I always have a change of clothes in my carry-on anyway).

So, I'm wondering how it will work. The example assumes that you are going straight onto your connecting flight, while I am planning on leaving the airport. If I have to claim my luggage, no big deal (I'll just leave it in left luggage), but does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

You won't have to collect your luggage. It stays in the system until its loaded onto the Chiangmai flight.

Canada
Level Contributor
337 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

Even though it is overnight and I'm leaving the airport?

So, I just go through customs and immigration without my luggage?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

mmm, not sure about that, I would check with the airlines to make sure. I would assume that if this is the case then you would be considered in transit and not allowed out of the airport.

Best to check

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

Hi,

Your situation is not that unusual..

There are a fair number of people who arrive into BKK from Euro/North Asia/USA and due to airline natural schedules and flight times, arrive very close to or just after midnight..

As such, there are no more 'same-day" (that is same calendar day) onward connections domestically....All these people have to wait about 7hrs until 0600AM when the first of the day AM domestic flights begin to depart.

So long as your bags are TAGGED all the way to your onward domestic point, they remain air-side and with the airline.

Where do they go? They are sent/stored in a special room that is set-up with baggage carts or containers that are labeled with the appropriate onward destination or flight number..

Once the morning operation re-starts-- around 0400 or so, all these bags are dumped back into the airports main baggage sorting system (air-side) and they will then be automatically resorted, combined with other bags from people just checking-in that morning, and then sent to the right place for loading onto your aircraft.

As a *general* rule, so long as the BAG itself is TAGGED to the onward destination and the layover is not more than one full day-- 24hrs-- it can and usually does remain with the carrier..

The reason they use the 24hr clock is because most flights NUMBERS-- like TG102, the 0755AM to CNX-- operate only one time per day.. So if they were to hold onto a bag for TG102 beyond the one day, they would have to look at each bag in the morning to determine if it's supposed to go on *today's* TG102, or tomorrow's TG102..

Travel Safe,

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

It shoudl be fine if it is checked through. You can leave teh airport and come back. Someone at the counter may ask you about your luggage so just show them the luggage tag sticker and it's all good. I've done it before. Just make sure with the counter your bag is transferred and not coming out on the conveyor belt before you take off into the city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

Yeah it's as bbtony says. We arrived at 11pm, no luggage to collect. Went to hotel, checked back in at airport at 6am for flight (TG102 actually!!) and picked up luggage in chiang Mai ( was in the intl area however). Enjoy your trip.

7. Re: Connecting Flights at BKK - Overnight Connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:15