We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

The Villages...
Level Contributor
70 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

Which area is better for a hotel in Bangkok? Is either a good location? Thank you.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

I prefer Sukhumvit because the Skytrain runs along it.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

Ratchaprasong is the name of a shopping district and it is next to Siam.

The BTS gets you there - alight at Chit Lom. The area is full of good hotels and shopping malls including Central Chidlom, Gaysorn, Central World and Big C. If you happen to visit in December, the ligths will be very impressive and I have to admit much better than many cities in Europe (London, Paris and Rome in particular) these days.

Sukhumvit per se is a major road not just in Bkk but in Thailand, and in BKK, as Andy has alluded to, it seems to have most of the BTS stations in the inner part of the metropolis where Sukhumvit changes from a highway to a long commercial road. Lower Sukhumvit will have bars and shops with many located off its side sois and including two major red light district areas. Some areas will be particularly busy like the Asoke intersection and some will be trendy like ThongLo.

It depends though as to what you are after as"good location" or "better for a hotel" will mean different things to different people.

I hope this helps

Happy choices

Giorgio Federico

The Villages...
Level Contributor
70 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

Thank you. I'm trying to decide between staying at the Renaissance in Ratchaprasong area and JW Marriott in Sukhumvit. It seems I may enjoy the Renaissance more. Do you know location of both and any suggestions?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

Of these two The Renaissance would get my vote although the JW is the "better" hotel JW is a bit too stuffy for me.

That said given a free choice I would go with The Landmak Hotel or the Mandarin Oriental!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

Yup l'd go for the Rennaisance - its In Ploenchit Road close to Chidlom BTS, only one stop from the interchange station and the big malls at Siam. Pretty good location and a pretty good hotel, newer than the JW which Is nice but on a nasty Intersection next to an elevated expressway.

6. Re: Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:16