We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

Save Topic
Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

We are palling to visit BKK in July 12 and planning to stay 4 days there . Is it phisible to stay Bkk all 5 days & visit pattaya by car and return by night? As we want to make visit for 4 1/2 days only our schedule is little bit tight. pl help how can we plan ?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

Its possible but not really worth doing. If you know your way, It takes about 1. 5 - 2 hours by road. I'd recommend using a bus, taxi, or private transfer service if you're not familiar with Thai roads.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

Easy to go from Bangkok to Pattaya by bus or taxi, but it would be a shame not to stay at least one night in Pattaya to go out in the evening, good dinner, see one of the great shows

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

"Is it phisible to stay Bkk all 5 days & visit pattaya by car and return by night?"

It is possible sure but with accommodation being cheaper than Bkk why would you want to do that?

The 4 hour round trip every day would also eat valuable time in your sojourn but to view the same place?!

Unfortunately, it is not clear from your post what would make you do that.

The beach and quality of the sea is not that great there (my view)

There are some very good seafood restaurants there.

As Monica4 suggests, Pattaya does become more alive at night. There are some good shows and plenty of bars there and there is an hyperactive night life there too geared mostly towards adults.

I hope these comments are of help.

Giorgio Federico

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

I was also thinking of going to Pattaya and just out of interest what would be some good shows to see, also what is happening at night is it much different to Bangkok and Patong?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

There is the Alarnkarn Cultural Show, and the huge katoey (ladyboy) shows at Tiffany and Alcazar - both family suitable.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

Pattaya is just way bigger than Patong, more than 10 x the size ( in fact much more than that ), lots of bars, restaurants, plus upmarket trendy bars and restaurants, the shows, Thai dinner and dance etc.

Lots more luxury hotels than Patong.

Also lots more Thai visitors, so prices are reasonable ( or let us say cheap :) ) - costs B 10 to hop on off the songthaews.

Accommodation ranges from budget to plenty of 4 + 5 star luxury places.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

"I was also thinking of going to Pattaya and just out of interest what would be some good shows to see, also what is happening at night is it much different to Bangkok and Patong?"

Pattaya is cheaper than Bangkok and Phuket. What to see depends on you. If you are interested in seeing men with breasts singing like women you have transvestite shows. If you are man looking for normal nightlife where there are girls in bars you have a lot of that. If you are a family group there are malls, restaurants, movie theaters and various tours you can take. Many families make Pattaya an annual destination. Check out a mall in Pattaya late in the afternoon or evening - they are full of tourists, many are family groups with children.

Some tourists just go to Pattaya for a cheap relaxing holiday. Hotels are cheaper than Bangkok. Many things are within walking distance or you can use cheap 10 baht transportation. Just like Bangkok you can sign up for tours through local travel agencies.

If you intend to visit stay overnight a few days. If it is a day trip from Bangkok it probably isn't worth it.

Up to you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

Very easy to do & we have done this journey often in the white van to & from Victory Monument.

The journey is about 2 hours the van will drop us off not far from the boat pier at Pattaya. The intention is to arrive before mid day so we can hop on a 30 Baht boat trip to Koh Larn. Then spend 4 hours on the beautiful island and catch the boat back to Pattaya about 5pm. There is still white vans going back to Bangkok from 6-8pm so you could easily catch one. Any later than 8pm and you might struggle as I'm sure the last one is either 8 or 9pm.

The blue & white 113B bus to Ekamai runs up until 11pm

Its a great day out from Bangkok but to make it possible you must make a early start before 9am

Save Reply
9. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

thanks to all of you for reply. We were planning due to short stay and want to visit both the places. Also i want to know is it worth buying gems from gems factory pattaya? are they costly?

london, uk
Level Contributor
31 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Up and down from BKK to Pattaya possible?

you can negotiate a good price with a regular taxi driver in BKK, worth doing if you have a family as it's very convenient. He'll prob wait for you in Pattaya for your return. For an idea of price, find out how much your hotel would charge for private transfer, and then half it!

If it's just 2 of you, then I recommend the white bus from Victory monument.