We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best thing to do in Bangkok

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best thing to do in Bangkok

Hi There, We are heading to Thailand for our Honeymoon in July and are in Bangkok for 2 nights when we first arrive but due to flight timing before we head to Koh Samui we are only in Bangkok for 1 full day. Although would have liked to had 2 days we are not too worried as it is our honeymoon after all and want to feel relaxed and coming from NZ think we will probably find Bangkok a bit intense :)

If you were there for only one full day/night what is a must do activity during the day and evening?

Cheers

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

Visit the Grand Palace (it's always open despite what ANYONE tries to tell you on the ground). Back to the hotel pool to cool off - it's going to be HOT!

Then take one of the many available river dinner cruises along the Chao Phraya, Loy Nava is but one of the options;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c127366/Bangk…

**Scan through the FAQ's on the right of this page, and get your head around all the tips for a happy visit.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 01:25
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

I'm going to be there for 2 days and all I plan to do is shop!! That's the only reason I go to Bangkok... All the gorgeous unique shoes! Lol.

Nonthaburi
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

If you want to do shopping, I recommend to go Siam Square area. There are lots of shopping malls there.

Siam Paragon is quite a fancy place with high quality items. However, also pricy there too!

Maboonkrong shopping complex is also another place where you could spend hours and hours of shopping for lady's clothes and accessories!

Even the Siam Square area itself, there are lots of stores for you visit.

Around there you also have an option to see art (if you'd like). There is an art exhibition center just opposite Maboonkrong.

Further but not too far, Central World and Amrin Plaza are other 2 big shopping complex you can visit.

All the place I have been talking about you can take BTS (a sky train) and get off at Siam station and just walk on the sky walk to those places. I think it will take you day or so to spend already.

If not enough, you can come to Pratunam area which just close to those place but there is not BTS station to it. You must take some kind to transportation such as taxi. (Or you can walk if you have enough energy left.)

Pratunum is full of clothing shops and all woman's accessories. Oh, I tell you you will love this place for what I say.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

Claire

As you are coming to Bangkok for a couple of days for your honeymoon, may I suggest that you do something that both of you enjoy? Unless, of course, your future husband is one of those rare men that enjoy shopping, (you may, or may not, be aware that there are some men that claim to enjoy shopping during the courting stage, but then take an instant dislike to it once the knot is tied), you could always try a celebratory meal at Le Normandie at the Oriental Hotel. The dinner is very expensive, but the set lunch can be had for 1,050++ baht. If you tell them you are newlyweds, they might pamper you a bit more!

mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/…

Congratulations

Alan

Edited: 01 May 2012, 03:06
Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

Claire,

Enjoy your honeymoon in Bangkok.

A visit to the Grand Palace and then shopping. The malls are open untill late in the evening so you will have enough to keep yourself occupied. A good start is MBK but there are many other malls in the area (along with good food).

Auckland Region...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

Thanks for all your responses. Fourb2, those ideas sounds pretty good to me - think that is something we will both enjoy and definitely want to go to the Grand Palace.

Although I would quite like to spend the whole time shopping it is not something I would put my husband through although it sounds like it is going to be pretty hot so maybe a couple of hours in the air conditioned malls might have to be done!

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

Up early and the river cruise to palace and budda. Nice lunch then hit the shops for some shopping, back to your hotel for a late afternoon swim and cocktail by the pool. Shower and then out for stylish dinner and drinks.

UK
Level Contributor
293 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

Go to the top of one of the tall buildings and see the whole Bangkok below (day or night) - Google or search this forum, there are 2 or 3 worth visiting....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

Visit Wat Arun and Grand Palace. Go to Lebua at State Tower in Silom Road, day or night as Austin08 mentioned... Sky Bar on the 64th floor offers amazing views of the city and the Chao Phraya River.. stay and have a drink, but only one, it's a bit on the pricey side! Worth it for the views though. Oh, and there's a dress code.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 21:25
London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best thing to do in Bangkok

If I were in Bkk for one full day and one night with my sweetheart / wife as part of our honeymoon:

We would begin the day with a leisurely breakfast at the hotel of our choice which of course would have been recommended by TA's posters (tick as done already)

We would take a boat on the Chao Praya river and take photos at Wat Arun and Grand Palace and anything else we like along the way

We would have lunch at Lord Jim's, then a browse at Central World and Siam Paragon

In the second part of the afternoon we would have tea at the Erawan Tea rooms followed by an apertif at Sirocco before sunset

We would take a shower at the hotel and get changed before heading to Smooth Curry or Reflexions at the Plaza Athenee and we would round the evening up with some Jazz at the Living Room at the Sheraton Grande

We would return to our hotel, hopefully contents with the day's activity and the rest I will leave to your imagination.

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 02 May 2012, 22:06