We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timers to Thailand

Rustington, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timers to Thailand

Can you please give us some advice.....We are planning a 2 week holiday in March 2013 flying from London to Bangkok. 4 nights bangkok,3 nights Chiang Mai, 6 nights Phuket? The cheapest fare I have seen is Emirites £647 one stop, we were expecting to pay less AND non stop.Non stops flights are showing nearer to £800 - Is this realistic & what would a average fare be for next March?

We are used to booking early to get the best price when we go to Australia, is this the same for Thailand? Doesnt seem so ??

Any advice on flights would be very much appreciated - THANK YOU

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,075 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

Hi,

If you fly with Emirates you will have to change aircraft in Dubai. You could also look into flying with Qatar Airways, Ittihad and Oman Air but these airlines will also involve a change. Qatar Airways also operates into Phuket via KL.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

it may be a problem of booking to far in advance!

often airlines release the flights at a higher price then the closer to the date reduce prices on a set amount of seats to make sure the bills for that flight are paid(the airline seat sale is a whole other topic) then increase the price the closer to the time of departure.

if you look at the travel center website deal page all the offeres are for departure up to july this year. with thai listed at around the £580 mark, or a connection flight from just £426, but as with all connection offers always check what the time you spend in the middle airport is!

also if you want to fly direct you have just 3 options thai, BA (sometimes listed as quantas due to code share) or EVA. from memory thai operate 2 flights a day, BA one and EVA depends on time of year either a daily flight or 4 or 5 times a week(worth checking that u are looking on a day they operate)

Edited: 01 May 2012, 17:07
London
Level Contributor
331 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

Actually, considering recent air passenger duty increases, the time of year (peak for Thailand) and it's emirates, that's not a bad price.

We paid £701 each in early April this year with Thai Airways, including internal flights to/from Krabi.

March 2013 flights have only just been released so I'd maybe wait a little longer but you are right, early booking usually gets you the better fare (obviously any sales buck this trend).

Easter is in March next year - if your dates clash with that then it's unlikely you'll find a really cheap fare. And by really cheap you're looking at £550 indirect given current levels of fuel cost and air passenger duty.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

To fly with Emirates I'd say that price was OK. I know there are direct flights but as said they may not be with Emirates. We flew Birmingham to Bangkok with Emirates with a 3 hour layover in Dubai and I wouldn't do it again. It equated to a 17 hour flight and was heavy going. I would now choose to go to London and get a direct flight. A couple of years ago we paid just over £600 each so taking into considerable price rises it's not a bad price.

However if you get the opportunity to fly Qatar if you still plan to do a stop in Dubai then they are an excellent airline and would certainly get my vote.

Rustington, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

Thank you all for your replies, interesting. Think we may wait for a few more weeks and see the prices then.

London
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

Try this site. You can't book flights here, but it will show your options.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

We booked 11 months In Advance London to Bangkok it was a multi city so we fly home from hcm. This cost 580 all in with Cathay pacific not direct but only a 1 hour stop in hong kong so thought it was a very good price. May be worth checking then out

Kerrie

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

Four of my first 5 trips from Manchester to Bangkok were with Emirates in 2009 & 2010. Sorry to say in the last 12 months Emirates do not seem to be as competitive for the route I go on. Etihad, Qatar and Turkish Airlines have been consistently quite a bit cheaper than Emirates throughout the last 9-12 months flying Economy class. The stopover in Dubai is normally not too bad 2-3 hours and there are some decent shops bars & cafes in this airport

I also think you are booking too far in advance would be better looking around August/September

Rustington, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

Thank you for the info...very helpful.

Rustington, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Timers to Thailand

YES... at last we have booked! With Etihad in March for £634 very good connections in Abu Dhabi so all we need to do is book the Hotels in Bangkok , Chiang Mai & Phuket, thinking Centara Villas Phuket or Avista, think Avista is more for families though what do you think ?It seems to early to book internal flights but looking at the schedules there will be plenty of choice.

Thank you ALL for the imformation you put on this forum it has helped so so much in helping us make informed choices.