We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Changers

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Money Changers

Hi,

are money changers easy to find in Bangkok? and do they try and scam you like some in other countries like Bali.

Sorry i know it's a boring question, but after going to Bali where you can get money changed on nearly every corner and then to Vietnam where we found it really hard tyo find money changers, i thought it's better to be prepared this time.

Tracey

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Changers

No problem at all, there are banks and money changes everywhere.

I have never had a bad experience like in Bali.

Beijing
Level Contributor
200 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Changers

Easier to change money in Bangkok than get laid and that is saying something:)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Changers

Haha, you just bought a smile to my face.

Thanks for the info:)

Beijing
Level Contributor
200 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Changers

Ha ha. Anytime. Have fun in BKK.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Changers

The vast majority of exchange booths are operated by the banks and the only concern would be to follow the Thai practice of counting your money before movimg away from the counter. Mistakes are not common but can happen, ripoffs are very rare. There are a few booths operated by private money changers such as Superrich which give a slightly better rate, and l've not heard of any problems wIth them.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Changers

Round about three baht and a half better rate than what you will get from our glorious banks back home..and no nasty hidden bank surcharges to boot!.Just also remember that on every ATM transaction(no matter how big or small)you make in Thailand there is a mandatory 150 baht surcharge taken from you...that's on top of the foreign exchange fees your card provider back home charges you!Here is one such cash machine ATM provider that does not charge the 150 baht fee..AEON...

www.aeon.co.th/aeon/web.do…

Edited: 20 May 2012, 09:56
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Changers

If you're changing a significant sum at one time, say U$500, 1K+, it's better to change at a licensed money changer, in contrast to a bank, since they usually give .2 to .4 more baht per dollar exchange. The amount is quite small but it does start to add up when exchanging large sums.

Sometimes even the wholesalers (at Platinum Mall for example) will exchange for you since some of them are in the exchange business (buying and selling currencies during the course of the day). One that I've used regularly gave another .2 more/dollar than even the money exchangers which was a very pleasant surprise.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Changers

Here's the best ..Vasu whose shop is just down the steps at Nana BTS on the corner...

flickr.com/photos/…

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Changers

Money changers are everywhere in Bangkok but the variation in exchange rates offered by them can sometimes be inexplicable. I always go to this shop in Ratchadamri, that I have found to offer the best exchange rates in Bangkok. They take a copy of your passport and your phone number for record. If that does not scare someone away, they may use this link to get details as to the location and how to get there:

desiyatri.com/2012/01/best-money-changer-in-…

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,866 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money Changers

dilli_desi , This tread is from 2012.

You sure wanted to plug Super Rich