We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My First Trip To Bangkok

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
73 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
My First Trip To Bangkok

Hi,

I'm planning on visiting Bangkok for a week in July & do some shopping, get my self inked by a good & hygienic tattoo studio & visit few attractions in Bangkok.

I'm wanting to visit the "Shooting range, Crocodile & Snake Farm, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, Forensic museum, etc. (some of the weird attractions) but i need to clarify few details prior to my visit.

Q1 - Can you recommend a good/clean B&B hotel which is close to most of the above places?

Q2- Which one of the tattoo studios would you recommend for a portrait tattoo. Pumpkin Tattoo? Maxx tattoo?

Q3 - Is it possible to take the sky train for all the attractions? how can i buy a day pass for the skytrain?

Q4 - which kind of taxi service i should use in order to avoid getting scammed?

Thanks in advance

Thinash

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

The attractions you mention are all over the place, so sky train is only relevant for Madame Tussaud which is bang in the middle of BKK at Siam.

Just take a regular taxi in the street and make clear with driver to use meter. Avoid taxis lounging around hotels, shopping centers or attractions if you can. They will most likely only drive you for an inflated fixed price.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

How much do you want to spend on a hotel per night? If you had a hotel close to some of these things on your list you will probably be taking taxis to get to nightlife, shopping malls, supermarkets and other places.

Rail system route.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

The majority of the meter taxis are okay. Just don't get in until the driver agrees to use the meter. Most of the drivers will agree. If not grab another one of the many hundreds passing by. Have coins and small bills for paying taxi drivers. The taxi fare is for everyone in the taxi not per passenger. Tuk-tuks usually end up costing more for tourists because they bargain the fare.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c18914/Thaila…

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
73 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

My budget is around $70 per night.

So.. basically use the taxi service in order to get to these places. since you've mentioned about night life, i'm planning on visiting few Go-Go Bars & night clubs as well, could you recommend me few "good" side streets i should take?

Any suggestion on my tattoo parlours?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

The Crocodile Farm is in Samut Prakarn Province. You can take the BTS skytrain to Bearing and then grab a taxi.

The snake farm (Red Cross) is in Rama 4 Road not too far from Silom MRT and Saladaeng BTS stations.

The Forensic Museum is at Siriraj Hospital - take the BTS to Saphan Taksin, then go down to the Sathorn pier under the bridge and catch the Chao Phrya express boat coming from your left, and get off at Siriraj. The hospital is huge, so I suggest you get someone in your hotel to write down Forensics Musuem in Thai, and then when you get there, ask someone for directions.

The Bangkok Shooting Range is well away from the city in the outer suburbs on the fringes of Pathum Thani province. I'd recommend using their pick up service.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

If you want to visit go-go bars my suggestion is to choose a hotel in the Nana area. No problem even with hotels at half your $70 budget price. If you are alone go with a cheaper room and spend the difference on entertainment or meals or put it in the bank. Hotels starting around 600 or 700 baht even have air conditioning, private toilet, TV and maid service.

Here is a few places you can consider.

Nana Ibis is located on Sukhumvit Soi 4. There are many go-go bars and beer bars you can walk to.

http://www.bangkok.com/ibis-nana/

Swiss Park and Business Inn located closer to Nana Skytrain stop. Both hotels are in good locations so you can walk to nightlife, restaurants, etc. Other cheaper hotels in this same area you can check out in person if you want to save money.

www.swissparkhotelbangkok.com/location.htm

http://www.grandbusinessinn.net/booking.htm

Not in the Nana area is the Asia Hotel. This hotel is right at the Ratchathewi Skytrain stop. You can walk to Pratunam shopping on Phetchaburi Road. Use Skytrain to take you to other areas in the city. After midnight no Skytrain service until 6 a.m. Meter taxis are cheap if you use the meter only. Have small bills and coins for paying for taxi rides. Asia is an old fashioned hotel but still pretty decent for the money. If you have a family with you not a bad place to stay at.

http://www.asiahotel.co.th/asia_bangkok.htm

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

Saphan Taksin station at the river is NO MORE. It is being dismantled. You have to get off the BTS at either the other side of the river, or at the station prior to what was Saphan Taksin, and then walk from there. Bummer that they have eliminated ST station!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

hi you said you can get hotel for600/700 baht. could you name some. I looked at the ibis nana but it is 1100. thanks

scotland
Level Contributor
216 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

Carol S - Saphan Taskin BTS station has not closed yet, just had it confirmed, only in talks as of yet, no doubt it will happen eventually, but not at the moment. We are going in two weeks and was dreading all the extra walking that we would have to do to get to the pier.

Regards,

Janice

Edited: 13 June 2012, 09:29
London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

Saphan Taksin was operational last week when I was there.

Good luck with the taxis - just about EVERY journey we took involved a lot of hassle getting drivers to use the meter. We took advice from the local experts here and flagged drivers down on the roads, but either they wouldn't go where we wanted, or would not use the meter. After stopping 5 cabs at one point I gave up and agreed a negotatied fare - with two small kids and a senior in our party it is no fun standing by the roadside in sweltering heat having this hassle. We gave up using cabs in the end and went with tuk tuks - at least their 'rates' were cheaper than cabs and we did not once get dropped off anywhere we didn't want to, and with 5 of us were cheaper than buying seperate tickets on the Skytrain.

Edited: 13 June 2012, 11:11
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My First Trip To Bangkok

"Saphan Taksin station at the river is NO MORE"

PLEASE DO NOT post misinformation. Its going to be quite a while before it closes, if it ever does. Its still there and still in operation.