We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - So Many Choices...Where do we go???

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help - So Many Choices...Where do we go???

Hi all

I know so many people ask this but rather trawl through a mountain of posts and post on every island forum I thought I would give this forum a go. My husband and I are looking to spend 3 weeks in Thailand in december/January (over christmas and new year and a week either side) but are just so overwhelmed by the choice its hard to know where to start. or choose!

I will try narrowing down what we are looking for out of our holiday in the hope that you can point us in the right direction...

We definitely want to be on the beach, possibly in a private villa/beach hut somewhere. We dont have tons of money to spend but I dont want to be sleeping rough either (i like a bit of comfort). We are not too fussed on clubbing or mad partying (nor do we want to be kept awake by it either - i am a very light sleeper!) but we do like a drink and love love love food!

We would also like to be able to go off an do day trips to other places so somewhere accesible is a must. In terms of day activities my husband and i are a bit split - I like to worship the sun, drink cocktails and read whilst he loves snorkelling and doing something a little bit more active.

My question is this...is there somewhere that exists in Thailand?

Also, we will fly into bangkok - do we get a connecting flight down to Phuket/Koh Samui then boat etc onto wherever we are going or do we go overnight train then boat?? We basically want something fairly easy but fun!

Is there a guidebook anyone could recommend that might also help me find answers??

Thanks guys!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - So Many Choices...Where do we go???

From your post it seems like you want to spend all your time at a beach resort in which case I would suggest Hua Hin, the beaches by the hotels about 10 mins drive from the town are almost deserted whilst a short walk along the beach towards the town will find your husband kite surfing etc to do. In the evenings it is a 10 min cheap taxi ride into town for a quite large night market some excellent sea food restaurants and a selection of bars to suit most tastes.

However if you are not tied to beach for the whole of your stay I would suggest the following 2/3 days Bangkok 5 days Chiang Mai 10/11 days Hua Hin 2/3 days Bangkok (for shopping etc) before flying home.

Hoping that helps

Edited: 13 June 2012, 14:08
Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - So Many Choices...Where do we go???

At that time of year I'd recommend Wes tCoast around Phuket island. Catch a flight from Bangkok to Phuket. Based on the things you are interested in, any of the many beaches on Phuket would meet your needs. beaches like Karon, Kata, Kamilla, Surin, Rawai or even Patong. patong may be too busy and noisy though its where all the nightlife and restaurants are. But you can find peace and quiet on the other beaches and yet still get over to Patong on a matter of 10 minutes or so for restaurants, shopping and other activities. The snorkeling around Phuket, the sights of the many specatacular islands and their formations, are incredible. You should be able to find a goor 3-4 star resort/hotel to meet your price range and neeeds easily there. You can do excursions and daytrips to other islands.easily. Look into power snorkeling btw--awesome fun.

Other areas on West coast are also beautiful such as Phi Phi island, Krabi, Koh Lanta, Pha Nga Bay on mainland a short drive from Phuket, Khao Lak but hotels there tend to be very expensive. But you can research pricing and things at several good sites like:

www.onestopphuket.com

www.hotelscombined.com

www.sawadee.com

Good luck --you'll have a wonderful time I'm sure.

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - So Many Choices...Where do we go???

My choice,

Bangkok , K Lanta and maybe an island close by for a few nights,

Then Krabi ( A Nang area ) then back to BKK for shopping before departing to the UK.

The above is my own personal choice and, but I also love Khao Lak !!!

Enjoy it's a fantastic country.

Ps West coast usually better for your months ???

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - So Many Choices...Where do we go???

If you like a quiet location with some good, but limited, restaurants, take a look at Bang Saphan. It is a nearly deserted beach with some good accommodation, (see Palm Gardens), and you can hire a car and visit some good sights and a national park. There is some nice snokelling at Koh Talu, and the boat out to the island, which included pick up from the resort, all the gear, plus lunch, was 350 baht when I did it last week. This area is like the islands used to be before tourism really took off in Thailand. You can get to Bang Saphan by train, (450 baht), or a/c bus, (220-302 baht), and the journey takes 5 to 6 hours.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Alan

5. Re: Help - So Many Choices...Where do we go???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:16