We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

Hi, I would like to shop for home deco stuffs for my new home.

Heard stuffs in Bangkok will be very much cheaper than my own country and would love to make a shopping trip there.

I would love to check out stuffs like lightings, home decoration, furnitures, bathroom accessories..

Please let me know where are the places I should check out :)

Thank you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

http://www.homepro.co.th

www.homeworks.co.th

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,075 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

If you want more "funky" stuff, check out JJ Plaza, between the weekend market and JJ Mall. JJ Plaza is open 7 days.

Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

Thanks much.

What about those individual shops? Does anyone have any recommendations on those?

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

One of my sisters in law, a buyer for a major firm in Singapore, has remarked on visits to us in Bangkok how much more expensive many items are in Bangkok shops. Also, IKEA recently came to Bangkok, but my impression is that IKEA is cheaper in Singapore. And we have a bunch of pewter, a bit from Thailand but most of it Selangor Pewter. It may be a good idea to look around as extensively as you can, and to know (or be able to quickly find out via the Web or a contact back home while you are in Thailand) if the Thai prices are better. So it really depends on what you want.

Since SIN and BKK are so nearby and cheap to travel between, you don't have to do it all on one trip (just as we can make an overnight trip from BKK to SIN for a concert at the Esplanade and some murtabak..).

But if you're interested in "decor", e.g. accessories - than Thailand has a wealth of unique designs to offer. Even if I prefer the quality of Selangor Pewter to that of Thai pewter, we have several Thai pewter pieces because of the designs.

Where to get ideas? Perhaps Narai Phand is a good place to start, because of the breadth of selection, and generally accepted quality (if not the absolute best quality, then rather close at much lower prices than the alleged best). The shop is better, but the Website can be useful for ideas.

http://www.naraiphand.com/

Then decide if you want to pursue lower prices (with or without possible lower quality) at other places. Sellers in common areas and boutiques in many shopping centres (e.g. MBK, Amarin Place, Central World), Central Chidlom departmental store, and markets (Chatuchak Weekend Market, JJ Plaza as already noted - which is not far from Kampang Phet MRT station and open all week), can all be good. Suan Lum Night Bazaar used to be great for decor before it closed. I haven't been to the new Asiatique on the river, but it may be able to offer you some shopping opportunities for decor.

When we moved some stuff from our place in Bangkok to our place in Pasir Ris, we mainly brought already owned decor (lacquer ware and other crafts from Chiang Mai's San Kamphaeng Road outlets [not the, in our experience, generally lower quality and/or higher-priced stuff at the Chiang Mai night market], paintings from the Art For All project which helps handicapped kids to express themselves through art, benjarong lamps and other items from JJ Plaza - some of it custom made to order years ago, and fabric pieces from Laos and Isaan). We also have some silk flowers and clay flowers. Ours were made by my wife after she took lessons on those crafts in Bangkok. (She "reinvented" both crafts by stylizing the flowers to be more realistically like actual orchids than is typically the case..) But you can buy nice ones around Thailand, as well.

Many people wind up loving a particular type of craft. We, rather, decided that we preferred a variety of types of craft. From celadon (but modern variants, not the classic light green which for whatever reason does not attract us) to benjarong, to brass castings from Phitsanulok (…wordpress.com/2009/…) - though consider Thailand's regulation on export of religious artifacts.

Places like Home Pro tend to have high quality for some bathroom accessories, but also perhaps higher prices for equivalent items than Singapore for many items (unless on promotion when you visit there). Again, some kitchen accessories are available at pedestrian places like Lotus Tesco and Big C, mid-level places like Robinsons and Central Chidlom, and other departmental or specialty stores.

Small electrics, on the other hand, can be a good deal (for selection and/or price). For example, all the floor and table fans in our place in Pasir Ris are Hatari from Thailand. Our air/pollen filters are Hatari, also. Most of ours came from TescoLotus or Carrefour (now BigC) in Thailand. All ~10 years old and work/look like new.

If you are considering quality furniture which would need to be shipped to Singapore, I'd suggest you visit Hang Dong district near Chiang Mai before buying anything in Bangkok. Some folks argue that JJ Plaza, or the furniture floors of MBK and other shopping centres, have all you may wish at reasonable prices. Others say no, Hang Dong is better and cheaper. There's only one way to find out for yourself.. (And that's hopefully fun..) Most of our furniture in Pasir Ris is from North America (La-Z-Boy recliner, etc.), or from Singapore (traditional shops plus Pasir Ris IKEA).

Have fun designing your place!

Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

EarthlingOnline

Thanks so much for your input! Now that really set me thinking if I should shop there for home deco stuffs.

I heard from friends that bathroom accessories like Grohe is very much cheaper there. I just don't know where to get it.

I've not thought of buying big pieces from overseas (i dare not even think of the transport charges) but more of buying small furnishings. Well noted about the Hatari, I'm actually looking at air filters too but the one in Sin is just too costly.

I will probably go JJ market. Have heard that they have a good selection of home stuffs.

Will also check out all the dept stores but like what you said, I don't think that will very much be cheaper than here except of course, I'm looking for stuffs not found in Sin.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
33 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

Crystal Design Center is another good place to buy home deco stuff, many shops are there, mostly upscale.

If you like the stuffs to be more country+vintage, there's one specific store called Chic Republic, just a mile before cyrstal design center, selling that kind of fashion.

Or basically, go to chatuchak weekend market and JJ plaza as mentioned, these two places have fabulous range of home deco stuff already.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

"I heard from friends that bathroom accessories like Grohe is very much cheaper there. I just don't know where to get it." - both Homepro and Homeworks stock this and its not hard to find. While TheTas suggestion of Crystal Design Centre is a good one, its not convenient from the city centre.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

chriskoh7770, I wouldn't want to discourage you from discovery missions on home decor around Bangkok! I'm confident you'll find lots of great stuff (and maybe have to look for an added piece of luggage for hauling the stuff back). But it's certainly good to buy with an up-to-date perspective on what could be a bargain in BKK, and what could be acceptable or better in SIN. In any case, such decor beats hiring a contractor for a $50K renovation (and having the contractor go to IKEA and maybe Chatuchak for the stuff to install)!

Regarding air filters, we looked 10 years ago, so our details are out of date. But we found that most brands tended to add bells and whistles at costs we felt were more for their bottom line than our needs. For example remote controls - completely unnecessary IMHO as one runs the filter constantly for hours/days without needing to "channel surf." Also, it's worth comparing availability and price of replacement filters (many of which use the identically sourced HEPA fabric so should cost the same per square metre/cm), and stocking up on them. We found that Hatari's unit was basic (a quality motor, box, and filter mount), but that was the basic function we wanted. Also, the cost of their replacement filters was much cheaper (less than half) that of others of comparable size. That combination was the winner we were after. We always keep a stock of spare filters, so don't get surprised when a temporary out-of-stock situation occurs at a shop when we decide to replace a filter.

www.hatari.co.th/products/air_cleaner.html

www.flickr.com/photos/bonchoy/5738711230/

Note thephoto, recent price for unit and filter on the flickr link.

BTW, their 30 sq m rating for area to be filtered is relative. Our place in BKK was 208 sq m, and two filters (one in the br, one in the hall) did the job when windows were closed.

If you buy such units, it may be good to take advantage of the Thai retailer's common approach to unbox and test a unit before you carry it away. You would then know (before you returned to Singapore) that it works. Alternatively, many places in Thailand's return policy is "no returns." (Though we have generally found that sellers are more than happy to rectify in case of a defective unit, caveat emptor is worth considering.) But BigC, TescoLotus and others have return policies with are more customer focused (but check details on each item while buying, preferably at customer service by seeing the policy in writing). You would not have to fully assemble a table fan, perhaps, but may wish to confirm that the motor is working (by attaching the blades & safety shield, and turning it on?). We never had a problem with their stuff, but it could always happen. (Murphy's law has not been repealed.)

Another hint - One can find large sheets of filter fabric, not HEPA but OK as a secondary filter, made by 3M for use over aircon unit filters. We buy that stuff, cut pieces to fit the Hatari's HEPA filter, and use it as a secondary cover. Not so important in Singapore as in Bangkok (where the bad particulate problem clogged filters extremely quickly without this easy-and-cheap-to-replace secondary cover), but useful for extending the life of the HEPA filter.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

I live on Phaholythin Rd. in Chatuchak. The 3 kilometer stretch of road I've become *somewhat* familiar with is from the Chatuchak Park up to Kasetsart University. On this corridor alone there must be 10,000 "individual shops" in various gigantic malls and humongous stores (like Tesco Lotus), as store fronts lining the streets, down various soi's, and as stalls in the Chatuchak Weekend market and various parking-lot-like areas along the way. That's just scratching the surface here in Bangkok. You just have to come here and have a look. Be prepared to wear out a pair of shoes walking.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 04:02
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where To Buy House Deco Stuffs In Bangkok

I live on Phaholythin Rd. in Chatuchak. The 3 kilometer stretch of road I've become *somewhat* familiar with is from the Chatuchak Park up to Kasetsart University. On this corridor alone there must be 10,000 "individual shops" in various gigantic malls and humongous stores (like Tesco Lotus), as store fronts lining the streets, down various soi's, and as stalls in the Chatuchak Weekend market and various parking-lot-like areas along the way. That's just scratching the surface here in Bangkok. You just have to come here and have a look. Be prepared to wear out a pair of shoes walking. I have about decided all the walking and shopping is not worth it. Some items I've been shopping a month for, and no luck yet (for instance, salt substitute, small bathroom shelf unit, etc). I would happily pay twice the price if I could find everything I need in one place. It's really hot here, and walking around at the weekend market will wear you out. No way to find what you are looking for specifically, you just have to hope you will stumble over it. How I miss Amazon.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 04:06