We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

Can anyone tell me where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok? How to get to the place?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

Some of the best (but not cheap) comes from http://www.jimthompson.com

Another good brand is Shinawatra Silk.

You can find other qualities of silk in many markets, and almost all malls, but you get what you pay for.

How to get to any place depends on where you are staying.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 06:04
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

I know the Jimthompson is not cheap. Any other recommondation? Last year I did go Pratunam Mall, Pratunam Market, MBK but can't find the silk.

Im staying at Grand Diamond. Thanks for the information in advance.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

I'm very surprised you couldn't find silk at Pratunam or MBK, I've certainly seen it at MBK, but I don't remember where. its very popular and easily available. The link I gave you lists the Jim Thompson stores, plus you can look at the many other shops in Central World, Paragon, Amarin Plaza etc. At the wekends try Chatuchak market near the Kamphengphet MRT station, or the Morchit BTS station.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

How about Bo Bae Tower? I never been there...

As for Pratunam Mall or Market, I have been to all the shop there in every floor, but could not find it.. as well at MBK.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

Be careful where you buy the silk as there are a lot of fakes around. Jim Thompson is the best option because you know what you're getting, however there is a little shop called "Queen's Silk" at 199 Sukhumit, near soi 15, it's a small arcade, go inside its the 2nd shop, you'll need to bargain but it's cheaper than Thompsons.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

If you want to phone and ask what they have this is the phone number, the owner of the shop speaks good English.

02651 0083

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

I haven't bought Thai Silk in years, but have been with others who have bought at Narai Phand as a reasonable compromise between Jim Thompson's prices and possible back street quality.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

Narai Phand uses mainly cotton in their products and it's one on my favourite shops in Bangkok, lots of nice presents to bring home.

For Jim Thompson I have been shopping nowadays in their Outlet store on a Sukhumvit soi something that I can not remember, still further than last Skytrain station on Sukhumvit. Go to Jim Thompson own homepages, adress and location can be found there and it's easiest to take a taxi and keep it waiting while you are doing your shopping. Plenty of all kind silks and a smaller selection of gift and ready made items.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

Narai Phand uses mainly cotton in their products and it's one on my favourite shops in Bangkok, lots of nice presents to bring home.

For Jim Thompson I have been shopping nowadays in their Outlet store on a Sukhumvit soi something that I can not remember, still further than last Skytrain station on Sukhumvit. Go to Jim Thompson own homepages, adress and location can be found there and it's easiest to take a taxi and keep it waiting while you are doing your shopping. Plenty of all kind silks and a smaller selection of gift and ready made items.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy Thai Silk in Bangkok

Jim Thompson is not necessarily Thai Silk but silk from

neighboring countries. Queen would get my nod too.