We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Topic
Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

This from the National News Bureau (no details given);

"The Transport Ministry’s Permanent Secretary stated that during the months of August and September, Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited, the operator of BTS Skytrain, and Bangkok Metro Public Company Limited, the operator of the underground MRT service, will start the joint “Rabbit” smartcard service."

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

What about November - will it still be in effect? and what exactly is the "Rabbit" Smartcard service? I'm assuming you can use both methods of transport with same ticket, or perhaps it could be like the Octopus Card used in Hong Kong? Any ideas on price?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

The Rabbit card is already in use on the BTS, and their website has a little information about how it works.

bts.co.th/customer/en/16-rabbit-step-buy.aspx

There seems to be no information about the joint ticketing yet.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
220 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

Hi, I read the link you gave on the rabbit smart card, it said that the BTS charge a 15 THB flat rate using the card? Is it true?

Indonesia
Level Contributor
220 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

sorry my bad, it said it will deduct 1 trip plus a flat far of 15 thb, so its more expensive than regular ticket then? :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

I think you are confused a bit. The BTS extension from Onut to Baring is a flat rate of 15 baht.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

Thanks for the link, bbtony; I'll check it out.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

They are attempting to make the Rabbit card like those used in Japan and Hong Kong. It's supposed to eventually be capable of being used on the BTS, MRT, BMA buses and also to purchase goods at 7-11, etc. I've lived here on and off for 15 years and I don't see it happening!

Bangkok, Thailand
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

go to directory link http://www.rabbitcard.com/en

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

You can already use it in Black Canyon, McD, and a number of other places.

There was an announcement yesterday (on lines we've heard before) that a single ticket 'should' be available for all forms of transport by 2015.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Joint BTS/MRT ticket due

Has this occured already? Can the Rabbit card be used for both BTS and MRT?

Thanks for your help! :)