We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hong kong
Level Contributor
244 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

For Bkk to Chiang Mai, is it better to take day train or otherwise? What are the pros and cons? Thanks guys

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,901 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

Night sleeper evey time!!!!

Pros:

Saves you a nights hotel charges which pretty much means you get the trip for free.

12 hour train journey there is only so much looking out of the window you can do!

The countryside you pass through on this journey is largly uninteresting farmland.

ou arrive at your destination without having wasted ANY of your precious holiday time.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Have fun

Edited: 13 July 2012, 17:29
London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

dennis 757

I enjoy travelling by train.

Bkk to Cm for me would have to be at night time on a sleeper train.

You may wish to check this website too.

seat61.com/…20Mai

Happy travelling

Giorgio Federico

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,640 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

Hi there,

Whenever I travel by rail my preference is to travel by night, especially if the distances involved are long. Even if you take the night train to Chiang Mai you should see something of the countryside in the morning.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

There could be more factors, depending on your interest in taking the train.

Day train pros:

1. Cheaper for same class of accommodation.

2. You can see the countryside.

3. The daytime Special Express railcars (trains #9 and #10) are quite pleasant.

4. If you are boarding or alighting at a mid-way point (e.g. Ayutthaya, Lopburi, Phitsanulok for Sukhothai, Den Chai for Nan, Lampang for the Thailand Elephant Centre at Hang Chat), you may prefer the timing of the day trains [or not.. :-) ].

Note. My favourite train for scenery on this route is the Chiang Mai - Bangkok rapid train number 102. There is no equivalent northbound train. Rapid #102 runs the entire distance in daylight (except the southern extremities near Bangkok when the train is running after dark - but that portion is visually less interesting and can be seen from Bangkok). Second class "fan" (non aircon) coaches are the best compromise between comfort and having an open window for viewing/photography/video with no window to mar the view. I prefer views from the east (left) side of the train, but your opinion may differ on this. I enjoy going to the dining car to eat - but YMMV. [Train #102 is not recommended for people who bore easily on all-day train/car/bus rides - but IS recommended if you want to see the full countryside at least once.]

Night-time trains pros:

1. All the usual reasons. The daytime trains take the entire daytime to get between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. The 2nd class sleepers are sociable ways to save time on the trip. The 1st class sleepers are private (isolated - which to me is good only if you have a romantic trip option - which should not be overlooked if you have never had a private sleeping compartment with a partner).

Note: my favourite northbound trains are Special Express #13 and Express #51. These get to Lampang after daybreak, then go through the hills between Lampang and Chiang Mai during daylight. Train 13 has nicer equipment. Train 51 is later, so gets more of those views, and you can get fan (non aircon) cars with open-able windows for better views/photo/video.

If you just want to use the train for travel and the social experience, night trains are probably a better use of your time.

If you like trains and scenery, trying to see at least the mountains south of Chiang Mai, may be worthwhile. For a train/photo buff, maybe taking train 1 or 13 northbound, and rapid #102 southbound, should sate your thirst.

hong kong
Level Contributor
244 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

I am grateful to all of you who gave out your valuable experiences. Thanks again.

Rangoon, Yangon...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

Thank you for the information! I am planning to go to Chaing Mai from Myanmar next 2 weeks and plan to go to BKK from CM.

Rangoon, Yangon...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

Thanks, Federicoita!

Paris, France
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

I think better take night train.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

Night Train

Saves on a nights accommodation and they are comfortable enough. Bed Linen and a pillow is provided.

Note: Tickets can be bought easy enough from Hua Lampong station yourself. Do not be taken upstairs to the travel agents as they will charge a fee for being the middle man.

London, England...
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day train or night ? Bkk to Chiang Mai

I personally thought the night train was the most uncomfortable and noisey journeys I have ever undertaken. The train rattles and screeches all night long, I am a light sleeper so maybe that did not help, so for my first day in Chaing mai it was spent mostly in the hotel bed and around the pool, so I opted to spend another 1000baht and flew back to Bkk.

If you have the extra, fly, or take the day bus, good from what I hear.