We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good bar "redlight area"

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mackay
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Good bar "redlight area"

Previous inquiry yielded some great info so will ask more advice please.

Wife and I (just turned 50) are keen to people watch and experience redlight area but wary of being ripped off re drinks etc.

Can anyone recommend a reliable bar to visit and what area should we tell taxi to take us?

Cheers guys for previous advice

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

Not that I know from personal experience (apart from Patpong many years ago), avoid Patpong which is a rip off tourist area and head to either Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy, Cowboy seems to be the favourite for people watching.

Sure some locals will have better words of advice.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

For Bangkok I never see thr term "red light district" used too much. There are bars here and there, in particular on Sukhumvit Soi 4, Patpong and Soi Cowboy. With a few other places here and there. Beer bars are cheaper than go-go bars and I find them cheaper than fancy nightclubs. Bars on Soi 4, Nana area, in my opinion, hassle you less and drinks are cheaper than Patpong. Some bars have a price list right on the bar or table. If you get really drunk often expect to sometimes pay extra.

When you order a drink in a bar ask the price first. Then look at the little chit receipt to see if the price is what the waitress said it is. If you consume lots of drinks without ever looking at your receipts don't be surprised if you have an extra chit in the container. You could pay as you go. Buy a drink and pay for it! Hard to get "ripped off" more than one drink that way! If your drink is paid for you can leave when you want!

Have small bills and coins when you pay your tab. When I do use a large bill like a thousand baht note, usually it is in a place I am familiar with. In any case I do verify with the waitress what the value is. Sometimes I go to the cashier and break a big bill down before I sit down. Much better to have small bills and pay the tab complete and not bother waiting for change.

Sit at a beer bar on Sukhumvit Soi 4 and you will get an eyeful. You can sit at an outside cafe, a cheap one with the plastic seats and tables, and watch all sorts of humanity walk, crawl or stagger by. I do this in the Sukhumvit area when I stay in the city. I pull up a seat under a light and read a novel while people watching. I like the area not far from the Miami or Thermae Coffee House. The Thermae is a trip back in time all by itself!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

Big Dogs or Morning Night on Suk 4.

Best way to avoid getting ripped off is to pay as you go, dont run a tab. That way no surprises.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

pay as you go! forget the chit system, it can cause you greif

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

I doubt these bars will allow pay as you go. Have a read:

"Almost all the clubs/bars in Patpong offer the Tiger Shows (Ping Pong, etc.). The touts will all tell you that there is no cover charge and beers only cost 100baht each.

Their modus operandi is all the same. When you go to the cashier to pay for your bill, you will be surprised to see that you have been charged thousands of baht, roughly 800-1000baht per person. The cashier and staff will immediately raise their voice and argue with you once you complain.

The actual amount you need to pay is somewhere around 250-300baht per person; maybe a maximum of 350baht. Who actually believes they will let you Watch a show like that for $4 is crazy. Don't show them that you know this, start haggling from 150 or 200baht and make 300baht your last price.

These people can be very intimidating and they do this for a living. If you are weak-hearted, traveling alone or in a small group, I suggest you think it over. Preferably there should always be a couple of guys in your group."

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

Nowt much to see apart from other people drinking and chatting ladies up.

Won't have issue with chit system at most places - quite easy to manage since you see the bill once you get the drinks. Only issue would come up if you drank a boat load and obviously they could slip a few drinks in.

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

My partner and I went to Soi Cowboy in June and sat in a bar at the end of the street to people watch. Can't remember what it was called but the drinks were reaonable and it wasn't a go go bar.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

^prob a run of the mill hostess bar... :D

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

Sit in the outside section of Country Roads on Soi Cowboy, this is a hostess bar not a go go bar it is a great place to people watch and to watch the antics of the bar girls trying to entice customers into their bars (which can

be like going to a show all by itself) and is situated right next to the Thai Whisky stall that all the gogo dancers use to get their 'dutch courage'.

Edited: 27 July 2012, 13:46
Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good bar "redlight area"

On Soi 4 are several good beer bars which are open air with overhead air conditioning, cheap drinks, food, pool tables, sports on TV, and situated near sidewalk for people watching. Good ones are Hillary's, Golden Beer bar of the Nana Hotel (my fav ), morning2night, 4, even Big Dogs at entrance to Nana Entertainment Plaza. You wont get hassled or cheated at these for your drinks. EAch order is is on a slip of paper put i na cup right in front of you. Yo ucan total it up in your head if you want when you are ready to pay up.

Soi Cowboy --a good people watching location is as stated above --Country Roads Bar (live music) sitting outside, and several others down the soi.

Both Soi Cwboy and Soi 4 NANA are considered safe, are known for being non-ripoff areas and are popular.

Stay out of Pat Pong--it IS known for padding bills, rip-offs, etc in the gogos especially and DO NOT got into upstairs bars!