We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Galway,Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Hi,

First time in BBK. Out of the 4 above hotels which should I choose AND WHY (a newly wed couple who want luxury resort but also to see BBK,both 30 years old).

Thanks,

patrick

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Depends on what you are looking to get from the destination.

Do you intend to mainly:

Shop

Sight see

Eat out

Take tours

Stay in the hotel mostly

There could be a totally different hotel for each of the above categories and even then it is down to a completely personal 'feel'.

I have not stayed at all of the above hotels but I did research them for my own purposes, but to give an example of what I mean, I HAVE stayed at all five 5* Hotels around KK in Sabah and they were all equally as luxurious, comfortable and top end. However, they all had a different feel about them, based on interaction with staff, locality and design, consequently no one hotel was better or lesser than another.

I have stayed at the Landmark Hotel on Sukumvit and the Shangri-La, based on location, both on the same holiday and If I had to choose a single location I would go for the Shangri-La without hesitation if cost was not an issue. If working to a budget then based on quality and cost it would be the Landmark.

Hope this helps to eveluate what you are looking for.

Galway,Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

We intend to do a bit of everything. We have 4 days and budget for accom of about 110 per night. Want to see main sights, shop for bargins and eat out/go for few drinks....

The SUkhothai's attraction for me is that it's a LUXURY hotel that we mightn't have the chance to stay in the likes of again.

The Marriott gets great user reviews- the fact that it's onthe other side of the river is on my mind(even if there's free boat)as if you want to drop home for a breather it's a bit of a time journey

Royal Orchid appeals as it's on the river (sounds nice to have breakfast/drink overlooking the river).

australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Hi,

I looked at all of these places and then decided on the Peninsula....I figure if you are going to spend this sort of money do it in style.

Cheers & enjoy your trip.

Galway,Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Sorry- about €110 euro per night, hopefully with breakfast included.

Was looking at Conrad hotel as well but no breakfast included in that price. I don't know if it's vital to have breakfast included (nice to get good feed before heading out for the day) or is it better to get breakfast outside, somewhere more local?

australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Forget the feed and focus on the experience. It's all about the trip.

Cheers

australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Forget the feed and focus on the experience. It's all about the trip.

Cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

since it is your honeymoon, i would suggest you look into the pen or shangri-la

read the reviews and then decide again

Robert- if you see this please post your 2 cents worth too

it may just help dinneen

SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sukhothai, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Marriott Resort & Spa or...

Hello again Patrick (and warm greetings to you, Sharon) :)

...completely concur with Sharon's suggestions. My bride-to-be and i will divide a portion of our autumn honeymoon between the Peninsula and the Oriental, along with a party at the Shangri-La, and a "bachelor night" at the Four Seasons. (Not during the same weekend, of course..)

...we "rationalized" our plan by concluding: it only happens once, right? ;)

...you mentioned your special time will be in May. Just a thought, but you may wish to book soon. It was very busy at some BKK hotels last week, and the following month has fully booked dates at some venues ...

...Congratulations, and wherever you stay, enjoy :) (and do consider a massage or two..)

macintosh (Robert)

"Once in a Lifetime"

(Talking Heads)