We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mosquitoes

Will we need mosquito spray for the boat trips or in the evenings in general when walking around? Hate getting bitten!! Thanks

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes

buy it there, i get attacked by them everytime

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
984 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes

Yes...take plenty....and spray youre room before bed to be safe

Pat

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,731 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes

Skeeters dont have much use for me - don't use any spray. :(

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
694 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes

Yet to get a Mossie bite in Bangkok despite numerous stays - must just be lucky but have never even needed protective spray despite carrying it just in case. Have been in all seasons!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes

Guess I have been lucky too.

I have never had a problem with mozzies.

I always take it with me, just in case.

It also depends what areas you are visiting.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes

Spray yourself every day before you go out...Despite the misconceptions that mozzies only come out at night that is infact wrong... as Dengue Fever carrying mosquitoes are known to be active and bite during the day time...Anywhere around stagnent water catchments and drain areas they will be active,beer gardens and outdoor venues being prime mozzie habitat...and in built up areas of Bangkok city...don't drop your guard!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitoes

Some people just taste better to mosquitoes. If you usually attract more of those suckers than your friends you may be a bug magnet.

No great expense to wipe some repellent on yourself.

It is very rare I get a mosquito bite but I do notice them every now and then.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitoes

They are sly little blighters....

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitoes

I use 80% deet and never go without it and still get bitten. I would use it and day and night to protect from Dengue.

A white tail spider chose me over my husband in bed this am so I must be tasty?

The only thing I look forward to coming home from Thailand is not having to put insect repel on everyday.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitoes

I generally don't get bit in Thailand, but that's because my wife is a major magnet for them!

Rules for mozzies: stay on a higher floor if you want to open a window. (Murphy's law - if the fire brigade's ladders can reach a floor, so can the mozzies.) Bangkok seems to have fewer mozzies than other areas - is it the air pollution? Generally don't worry about malaria except in border areas (but check with an in-country medical expert before trusting others' anecdotal stories) - but dengue fever is reportedly a real though still rare issue almost anywhere in SE Asia. Get roll-on stuff with deet at Boots, Watsons or the like in BKK if you want to be sure. The cheaper stuff might not be very effective - the best stuff is not outrageously expensive.