We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Hello fellow travellers,

My flight into Bangkok (BKK airport) arrives at 6.40 am on Bangkok Airways and I was hoping to take the Air Asia 10.30 am flight to Krabi from DMK airport (Air Asia moving to DMK after October 12) on the same day.

Is it possible to collect bags, get visa on arrival, do the transfer and check in at DMK in the space of 3 hrs and 50 mins if we arrive at 6.40 am?

Is it rush hour at this time of the morning? We would be happy to take a taxi but not sure if they use the expressway and what traffic will be like..

Many thanks in advance!

Anu

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,901 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

It depends on many things which to a large extent are out of your control.

1 Your incomming flight may be late (and even if it isn't the arrival time is usualy at touch down and does not include taxying the plane or de planing)

2 How long before your luggage comes up (not usualy too bad at BKK but I have waited over 30 mins in the past)

3 The immigration queue which at some times can take a fair amount of time to clear.

4 Yes it will be rush hour by the time you clear BKK airport and then there is no telling how affected you will be by the inevitable traffic snarl ups.

5 How long before your Air Asia flight takes off do you have to check in?

In short you might make it if everything goes reasonably smoothly but if you get a hiccup or 2 in the system you are going to struggle. I would not take the chance personaly if there was any alternative (You can call me Captain Cautious)

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Even if your VOA formalities (assuming you don't qualify for a waiver) take an hour, and the taxi takes 45 minutes, you should be ok if your arrival flight isn't running too late.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Hi

If your flight no delay it will be okay , you can take Taxi at the first floor.

They will charge you 50 Baht.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Thank you so much for your replies.

It is a bit of an unknown as there are so many potential things that could go wrong (traffic, immigration, baggage, flight arrival etc etc!). Think perhaps it would be better to stay at BKK and take a more expensive but relaxed (5 hr waiting time unfortunately) Thai airways flight out to Krabi.

we have another option of going via Singapore (wont save time as we still have 5 hr wait at airport but thought Changi may be better than BKK?) - any views on whether Air Asia are better or Tiger Airways - or are they both similarly unreliable / risky?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
238 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

In my experience Air Asia is pretty reliable. Don't know their official numbers though.

Changi is always rated very highly as a transfer airport, so that might be a more comfortable choice. (though Suvarnabhumi is a nice airport as well, 5 hours there doesn't seem really bad to me)

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

If you actually do need a Visa on Arrival, possibly it's not enough time. But if you mean a visa exemption, then I think you would be OK. Calculate one hour for Immigration and baggage claim (could actually be quite a bit less). Calculate one hour for transfer to DMK (usually about 45 minutes). That brings you to arriving at DMK at 08:40, which still gives you a comfortable margin for the Air Asia check in deadline of 09:45.

Of course you can improve your odds by checking in for your Air Asia flight online, meaning you won't have to stand in a potentially long line-up at DMK.

Vienna, Austria
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Hey,

we have kinda the same problem. Need to get from BKK to DMK. We arrive at 11pm and want to catch a flight at 6.40am. How much does the taxi cost from BKK to DMK?

Thanks in advance,

C.

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Have a read of all the information in the first message of this forum, about AirAsia moving to DMK, the replies cover taxis and the free buses.

Kevin.

likely, bc
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Rinirabbit, do you mean 450 baht instead of 50?

likely, bc
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer time between BKK and DMK airport @ early am

Rinirabbit, do you mean 450 baht instead of 50?