We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

intra-asia flights

qld australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Topic
intra-asia flights

hi, we're a family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 kids) and will be travelling from Singapore to Bangkok one way, Bangkok to Phuket one way, Phuket to Hong Kong one way with about 4 nights in each except for Bangkok where we will be going on an Intrepid tour of about 12days. I would like to know which low cost airline is the most reliable and best value and which website to compare fares with, we're flying in mid to late January. It looks like Air Asia may be the pick but as they are changing to Don Muang airport in Bangkok from 011012 I don't know if this is an advantage or disadvantage. Any help or advice would be appreciated

Phetchabun, Thailand
Level Contributor
79 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: intra-asia flights

open up three tabs on your computor, search nok air, bangkok air and thai air asia and compare yourself.

i think all three fly from DM.

all are reliable but not all fly to your destinations

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: intra-asia flights

There is no website that I know of that lists Air Asia fares except airasia,com. Since you are making one way trips, you do not have to use the same airline for each leg. I have used Air Asia several times and would use them again. Bangkok Airways is a great airline, and they sometimes beat Air Asia fares, depending on when you buy the ticket and what extras, such as checked baggage, you want. Nok, to my knowledge, is domestic only in Thailand. I do not know if Thai Smile is flying yet. Particularly on domestic legs, Thai Airways at times offers very competitive fares with the LCCs. Long story short, you will probably end up having to compare the fares on multiple websites.

qld australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: intra-asia flights

thanks for the info, I have just found skyscanner compares all the airlines including air asia and jetstar asia along with the more expensive carriers and unfortunately bangkok air is far too expensive at the time we are going, it is only between air asia and jetstar asia at this stage, can someone tell me the advanage or disadvantage of Don Muang airport as opposed to the other in Bangkok?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: intra-asia flights

I flown with AirAsia around Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They were great with great and helpful staffs, friendly services and cheap prices. They are outstanding comparing to the prices, I think you won't mind with their services!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: intra-asia flights

I have not used Don Muang since the new airport opened. For flights originating in Bangkok, or the final destination Bangkok, I really do not think it matters. The only issue I see is for passengers transfering, usually from an international to a domestic flight, in Bangkok

i took a look at skyscanner.com, but you may be comparing apples to oranges. Air Asia charges for checked bags and assigned seats while Bangkok Air, the last time I used them, did not. Assigned seats may or may not be an issue for you.

Skyscanner.com is a useful tool that I did not know about, but it seems to only compare base fares, not the true cost.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 06:51
qld australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: intra-asia flights

hi, yes you're right skyscanner doesn't include the baggage allowance but its about $19 AUD for both carriers (25kg) and I was just adding this onto the cost thus enabling me to compare apples with apples. I would like to know which airport is closer/cheaper to get to hotels in bangkok? Also is one less busier than the other thus saving time on collection of bags etc? If arriving from Singapore to bangkok regardless of which airport do we need to go thru customs/immigration etc?

Also not sure whether to take the late pm flight on the 110113 or the early am flight on the 120113 from Singapore to bangkok, both air asia and jetstar asia are similarly priced but with regards to reliability and ontime performance not sure who to choose. Reason i ask is we have an intrepid tour meeting to be at by 6pm on the 120113 at the hotel in Bangkok before leaving Bangkok the following morning with the tour.

Therefore we will be only having that day 120113 (depending on what time we get in) and the day of the 220113 ( again travel with tour back from Hua Hin as part of tour) then flying out again that late afternoon to go to phuket.

So total time in Bangkok itself would be 1 or 2 days max depending on whether we leave Singapore on the 11th or 12th?

Any advice would be appreciated.

qld australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: intra-asia flights

also sorry forgot to ask should I be waiting to see if the prices get cheaper for the flights with air asia/jetstar asia at that time of year or should i be booking soon because it may book out at that time of year, not sure if this is a busy time or not, any advice again would be appreciated

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: intra-asia flights

I would book ASAP as January tends to be busy and also still in high season.

qld australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: intra-asia flights

ok thanks but to book i need to know which carrier and i will probably need to base this on the airport arriving and departing from, so if anyone could advise as asked previously which airport is closer/cheaper to bangkok hotels and do both require customs/immigration and is there any time savings to be had depending on which one also?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: intra-asia flights

Both are about the same travelling time to the centre of Bangkok. "Do both require customs/immigration?" Yes of course if you are flying into or out of Thailand, but No if your flight is purely domestic (within Thailand).