We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

Hi all, I know tis been asked loads of times before, but everywhere I look I seem to get variations of the same answer :(

Lookign to go to Thailand next year with my partner and we want to spend mayb 3-4 nights in Bangkok then get a flight down to Koh Samui for maybe 10 nights.

I see that the really best time to go for weather is December- March? 3 reasons we don't really want to go that time of year is firstly it appears that it will be very busy everywhere, also very expensive and we both like spending christmas with our families :)

So, question is, apart from the peak time of Dec-Mar when is the next best time to go and visit these two places? We don't mind some rain, obviosuly you have to expect it, but would prefer it if we have to have it, in Bangkok, with nicer weather in Koh Samui?? Is

this possible?

Want to tr and go more towards the middle-end of year as this gives us more time to save the pennies :))

I have been thinking maybe September?? Any help would be great !!

Thanks, Seth

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

We were in Thailand last September which was about the mid of monsoon season though we didn't mind the rain and tried to enjoy the trip as much as we could. As far as I understand December and January are probably the best season to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui. May be it will be a bit cool time and the busiest time to visit these places but I think they are the best months!

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

The following is copied from the FAQ (Weather) on the right.

Please have a look at what it says on Koh Samui, which is located in the Gulf coast. Penultimate paragraph.

Unfortunately, highlighting and bold facilities are not available when posting in TA.

The monsoon season usually is accompanied by heavy rain.. This season may start earlier than years before-- as early as April or May, although it officially begins in June and runs as late as October, when the temperatures begin to cool slightly... The rain isn't constant in the early months of the period as It will rain for one or two hours, and then dry out. But it can rain torrents when it does rain. Be aware that late in the monsoon season is when the rains are at their heaviest and most persistant, and flash flooding can occur. Carry an umbrella or raincoat, and you can still enjoy a great vacation in the Thai rainy season. In the south, (including the Amdaman islands), the rains don't end until late November.

The cool season normally runs from November thru February and will still feel hot to most visitors, but much of the country does experience a short cold snap for a week or so in December, especially in the north and notheast where it can get quite chilly.

On the gulf coast around the islands of Samui, Phangan and Tao, the seasons are different with the best weather being from about June-October (July & August are peak season), then the weather slowly changes towards the local monsoon season in the area.

Whenever you’re visiting be sure to bring plenty of breathable and light clothes, and a lot of good sunscreen. The sun can be quite intense. But at least there is typically a lot of it to enjoy!

Best

Giorgio Federico

united kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

Thanks RythmD :-) so did u have a lot of rain in September when you went? What part of Thailand were in?

Thanks also for the information..it states that best time for Koh Samui is June to October? So september may be ok in Koh Samui??

Edited: 23 August 2012, 12:42
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

I've found that end of June is pretty good for both Samui and Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

Hello

HI of Samui it between July - August.

September - October it will rains again

November - December is monsoon of the gulf side.

hope this could help.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

Hi

If koh Samui avoid Oct - Decmber as this is the rainy season in koh Samui ( the east coast / gulf of Thailand and peak time in December )

The best time July - early September ( high season)

Jan - mid Feb still in peak season.

March - June considering low season/ shoulder season except the periods of Thai new year in April 12-15th some hotel pumped up the price then.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately June is a little early as I already have a holiday booked for may! :-)

I'm thinking september looks good for Koh Samui according to certain sources? (travel fish.org) Bangkok has a little more rain but I'm happy to have some rain in Bangkok and it be a little (possibly!) drier on the beach part of the holiday :-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

September is a good time to visit Samui and Bangkok being a city if you have some rain won't be too bad as you can still sightsee.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

Chrella - My thoughts exactly :)

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of year to visit Bangkok and Koh Samui

I found a website and looked at the weather for October on Koh Samui... my findings were that apart from 2007 when for the week of 10th Oct it rained every day, since then some days might have the odd shower, but the majority were sunny! Have a look here... .

http://networkedblogs.com/BiZgN