We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don Muang airport-train station

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Don Muang airport-train station

Hi all. Any ideas how far is the Dom Muang train station from the airport? Plan to make a flight-train connection so wondering how much time is required in between. HELP

Edited: 24 August 2012, 07:47
130 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

Its across the main highway on a footbridge which links the airport and the station. Allow 15 minutes walk from the terminal to the station platform.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

For a first-timer it might be worth adding a bit more time, in order to find the doors leading to the footbridge to the train station. Look for signs to the Amari Airport Hotel and railway station. Some people find those doors quickly, some do not.

OP, it's worth confirming that the train you want to take stops at that station. Though most/all trains to the north and northeast DO stop at Don Muang, trains to/from the south, west (Kanchanaburi) and east don't stop there.

Also, I assume that you're connecting to an outbound train from BKK to somewhere else. Such trains are usually (but not always) roughly on time. You can check the sign-boards and with station staff on timeliness or other details of trains (and purchase a ticket if desired).

Connecting with an in-bound train to Bangkok can be tedious (even for a rail fan like me).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

Thanks guys!

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

I recently used Don Muang airport on a Nok Air flight into BKK from Chiang Mai. I chose to use the train, but my experience was a bad one. It is cheap [now costs 54 baht], but it was extremely slow, noisy and crowded. Although it arrived at the airport only 5 minutes late the service is not that frequent [maybe every half an hour at the very most]. It took nearly an hour to do a 40 minute stretch, and was then stationary for an hour about 2kms out of the terminus station. No-one knew why it didn't move for atleast an hour, but I and a number of others [mainly foreigners] somehow managed to 'escape', walk the tracks and hail taxis. I would never take that mode of transport again there.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

Going back to the days when DMK was THE airport, the train was always a cheap but slow and clanky way to get there. However, Don Muang station makes a lot of sense if you're connecting with a train LEAVING Bangkok. Then you spare yourself having to get to Hua Lamphong in the most congested part of town and then that slow plod back through the city centre. Another good place to pick up trains is Bang Sue, where ALL trains out of Bangkok to the north and the south call in and which is at the northern end of the MRT line.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

By the way, ALL trains going north and northeast out of Bangkok do stop at Don Muang. But, as I said above, all trains to the north, northeast and south stop at Bang Sue. The station there is divided: one part for the northern lines and the other for the southern. And there's a convenient passageway from the MRT station.

rawang
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

hi all,

if i need to go to pratunam market or check in at siam star hotel,

what is the best way by using this train station?

or is it better by using bus?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

Hi,

You'll be better off taking a taxi since the rail link doesn't go near Pratunam.

Bali, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

Hi guys !!! Hope we ara always get good health ! By the way, my I have your favour ? We would like to take train from Don Muang rail station / airport DMK to Main train terminal - Hua Lamphong . Which one train that we will take ? How often does the train for any time ? Thank all

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,593 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don Muang airport-train station

All trains coming from the north and northeast stop in Don Muang on their way into Bangkok. The trains come in on an irregular basis throughout the day and night.

Reply to: Don Muang airport-train station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted