We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

Manila, Philippines
4 posts
Save Topic
Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

I know this has been posted some years back, but we only have one day to spend in Bangkok before leaving for Siem Reap the following morning. We heard that there's a van going to Ayutthaya that will just take you about 1 hour to get to and back to Bangkok. Would it be possible to Tour the Grand Palace and Wat Arun during the later part of the day?

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

it could be done...but you wouldnt do justice to any of them

Pat

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

It just depends on how much time you actually want to spend at each site. If the intention is to simply say, Yes I've been there, then easily done.

I would do the Grand Palace and Wat Arun 1st before heading to Ayuthaya. Go when they open and plan to leave for Ayuthaya by noon.

Manila, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

Thanks, everyone! I guess, I wanted to see just 5 temples in Ayutthaya so badly that's why I couldn't pass this one up. We'll probably go to Grand Palace and Wat Arun first, then head for Ayutthaya. I hope traffic is not that bad when we head back for Bkk.

Manila, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

Thanks, everyone! I guess, I wanted to see just 5 temples in Ayutthaya so badly that's why I couldn't pass this one up. We'll probably go to Grand Palace and Wat Arun first, then head for Ayutthaya. I hope traffic is not that bad when we head back for Bkk.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

I really think you'd be better off seeing more of the fascinating sights within Bangkok. Traffic in the afternoon/evening from Ayuddhya to Bangkok is heavy and those vans don't have much space.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

In my view "rushing", because this is what inevitably will happen, will detract from both places and the memory (other than the photos) is likely to be one big blur.

Both are worth a visit and each is worth some time.

Architecturally, I would err toward the Grand Palace first and then head toward Wat Arun.

With regard to the latter, it is possible to climb to the upper levels for some great views. However, be aware the steps are almost vertical and are likely to cause challenges when descending. handrails are there but it is not for those who suffer from vertigo.

As and when you decide to go to Ayutthaya, check the excellent FAQ on minivans from Victory Monument. One hour (especially on the way back to Bkk is very optimistic in my view). Once on site, you will be able to negotiate a decent price with a tuk tuk driver who often have a "menu" outlining the various temples.

Best

Giorgio Federico

Manila, Philippines
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

Thanks, Giorgio. That's the plan I have in mind. We'll prioritize seeing the Grand Palace and Wat Arun first and then see if we would still have enough time for Ayutthaya. We will be going there on a Sunday so I'm hoping that traffic is not really at its worst.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 14:58
London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

Your welcome MarieChococat.

Also, in the event you wish to read a little more regarding Ayutthaya, this is an interesting link by a well known blogger.

www.bangkok-daytrips.com/a-trip-to-ayutthaya/

Giorgio Federico

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

With this tight schedule I would recommend getting a private guide with transportation if you really want to see both Grand Palace/Wat Arun and Ayutthaya. Grand Palace and Wat Arun both open at 08.30. Say you get in to Grand Palace at opening time, and after that cross the river to Wat Arun which is kinda quick to check out, and then have a car ready to take you to Ayutthaya it could be done.

It would cost some more but save a better part of mid-day from going Wat Arun to Victory monument, finding bus, getting on it, waiting to leave...

The day tours I've seen start with Bang-Pa In summer palace, then lunch, and get to Ayuthaya at 13.15.

10. Re: Ayutthaya and Grand Palace/Wat Arun in the same day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:15