We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish somebody had told you?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey
Level Contributor
280 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish somebody had told you?

Inspired by a thread on another forum. For those of you who have already been, or are regular visitors, to Bangkok what do you wish that someone had told you before your first trip?

When I first visited Bangkok in the days before the World Wide Web, I wish someone had told me about the scams around the Grand Palace, fell for it and ended up being conned out of 2000baht

UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

To chill out and just enjoy being there.

The first time I went last year I had a fab time, but had so much planned I couldn't just experience being there.

I'm there right now and similarly had loads planned, but today my bf was hit by jet-lag and we ended up doing very little, which led to us being sat in a bar just relaxing this evening, which made me realise was as good as doing anything on my itinerary! I watched the wonderful Bangkok nightlife go by and thoroughly enjoyed it, so whereever you are, whatever you are doing in BKK I wish someon had told me to take some time and just relax and enjoy being there!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

Hi,

I wish someone had told me it was addictive... ;)

Cheers

Jersey
Level Contributor
280 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

agree Sarah6969pink wish someone had told me not plan too much. Allow yourself plenty of time to sit on terraces watching the world go by.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
827 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

Street food is the best food in Bangkok;

never take a taxi that is waiting (always flag down a moving taxi);

don't listen to anyone who approaches you on the street;

take this bike tour to see some sides of the city that tourists rarely get to see (tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d159…);

get a massage (or two) every day;

don't be afraid to journey off the beaten track and see what you can find;

leave your western thoughts at home and apprectiate all of the differences.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

avoid too many massages, as after too many you won,t be able to walk anymore

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

Great advice from all, and terrific pictures of the biking tours to see local BKK... Thank you!

Paulo... yes, if I'd known how addictive Thailand would be, I would have started saving when I was in my 20's!

Jersey
Level Contributor
280 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

I bet there is a few boys out there who wish someone would have told them about kothaye’s before they got to drunk

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

Before my first time in Bkk, I wish someone had told me that there was a very active and friendly Bkk forum on Tripadvisor where I could have placed my 1001 and one questions and avoid some of the initial teething issues as outlined in some of the posts above.

Because I did not consult this site before, I ended up spinning around the city in a tuk tuk, purchased the most precious stones one could imagine, had five suits made in half a day because I am a "lucky man", booked in the most expensive hotel, paid for three times the price for the same food next door, fixed the fare with a taxi driver who waited for me outside a tourist attraction, did not visit the Grand Palace because they told me it was closed and...

...just kidding, but it can happen.

Giorgio Federico

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

# They hold their 50% off sales in July.

# It'll be a wise idea not to cut the hairs from that mole.

# Get a recharge card for the Sky-Train.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish somebody had told you?

That little Thai girl you are marrying will control your life!!!!!