We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fare

wallington,surrey
Level Contributor
228 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Fare

We are going on a Far East Cruise in Feb 2013 and will stop off at Laemchabang from 7.a.,m. to 5.0pm following day.

Cruise Line do shuttle into Bangkok for £41 per person but you have to stick to there time.Would it be possible to do out own thing(there will be 3 of us) and stay overnight in Bangkok.

Does anyone know how much a Taxi would be there and back,and is it safe to do this.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fare

I have never done this myself, so I am making estimates based on going to Pattaya, and then adding some additional cost. At 41 GBP per person, that is roughly 1600 Baht, per person. I think you can probably find a driver or taxi that will do that trip for 1500-2000 Baht each way, maybe even a little less. It is safe, tourists make the trip between Bangkok and Pattaya all the time. I have never taken a cruise and am not familiar with the port, but I am familiar with Thailand and would consider this myself. The port is actually closer to Bangkok than Pattaya, so my estimates may be high.

In conclusion, it is worth looking into. One caveat, with a cruise, if you miss the departure and are not on a cruise excursion, you will probably be on the hook for getting to the next destination. The upside is more freedom and probably save a little money, the downside being the risk of missing the departure of the ship and spending alot of money.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fare

Leave the ship at a time that suits you, and after the initial rush has cleared. Per-arrange a transfer for about 1800฿ (small sedan for 3) through Oriental Express.

They're not the cheapest, but they are reliable and well regarded.

orientalescape.com/thailand/…bangkok.html

I would stay the night, choose a hotel that fits your budget, and is handily located to whatever it is you want to do - shopping and eating, or sightseeing the main sights. Lots of Bangkok info on the FAQ's on the top right side of this page.

wallington,surrey
Level Contributor
228 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fare

Fourb2

Many thanks for that information,have looked on link you provided and would just like to ask if you think they would be prepared to pick us up from port as well as return us,also would you recommend paying when I book by card or cash on the day?

Cannot believe how cheap it will be to do our own thing,The Cruiseline want £246 per person for same trip including 1 night in hotel

How far in advance do you think I should book transfers?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,169 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fare

Oriental Escape has a very good reputation.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fare

I would not risk doing it on my own and to miss boarding time just because you get stuck in traffic on the way back. Ships are not known to wait.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Fare

Oriental Escape will do what ever transfers you need. Lamchabang is nearer to Bangkok than Pattaya is (in regard to jhndrac's post.)

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Fare

If you leave early enough for your return trip, I don't think you have much risk that the boat will leave without you. The driver will know from experience what your margin of safety is. Then maybe give it an extra hour.

8. Re: Taxi Fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:17