We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

Beverly Hills, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

I am spending three nights in Bangkok in October, and I have the following choices of accommodations:

1. Four Seasons promo rate of $225/night.

2. Peninsula (with breakfast, afternoon tea (once during stay),possible upgrade). $300/night.

3. Mandarin Oriental. (Breakfast, $100 spa credit, possible upgrade). $475/night.

I have been to Bangkok a few times, though not in a while (last time I was there the SkyTrain was new/ under construction). I've stayed at The Mandarin Oriental, which is pretty special, but seems relatively overpriced. I've also stayed at the Four Seasons, and I'm familiar with The Pen, where I stayed only for a quick one night layover. Even though i've been to Bangkok, I am completely lost when it comes to understanding the city and the various pluses and minuses of each location. i am traveling for leisure and will be there for a minimum of three nights before going to Chiang Mai for a few days.

I was leaning towards The Peninsula, but the rate at the Four Seasons is so good, it is really tempting.

I Would love to hear advice, particularly about the differences in locations. Thank you.

Bangkok, Krung...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

FS have promotion free 3rd night... I'll go for that..

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

If the location of the Four Seasons is OK for you, I'd also consider adding the Dusit Thani as a possible candidate.

Your budget could get, it seems, a rather nice club-level Thai Heritage suite in October.

I consider the Oriental and Peninsula to have special locations on the river, but the Four Seasons to have a very pedestrian (not attractive at all to me, IMHO) location. I consider the Dusit Thani's location (on both the SkyTrain and Metro underground, adjacent to a good park and supermarket where I go for snacks) to be very good.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

Look like you are on FHR rate - have you considered St Regis - right next door to FS? We are trying it in December. we had friends return recently and they thought the Pen was looking very tired, I have also heard they will be doing a major refirb in the next 12 months. I also feel the MO is pricing itself out of the market, even though it is great and we will no doubt stay there again

Beverly Hills, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

St Regis is about $325/ with FHR amenities. I should probably consider it; I don't know anything about it. Oriental overpriced? Yes. But it is unique and special and has spirit, which is why many of us will stay there for no practical reason. And for many, it has priceless memories to revisit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

Seems like you have already decided - MO. I know how you feel we have done that several times.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

I would say the MO as i also love it. I haven't stayed at the other 2 but I don't like the position of the FS. The Pen is supposed to very nice too.

As well as FHR have you looked at booking through Virtuoso - may have better amenities. I used to use FHR exclusively but recently have been finding Virtuoso better and sometimes cheaper.

7. Re: Bangkok Hotel Help (FS, Pen, or MO)...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 10:16