We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Hi all, Have a four day stay in Bangkok in October & have been told by a lot of people that I will save a fair bit of money if I book my tours when we arrive? Is this the right thing to do or should I just bite the bullet and book now? Thanks:) (sorry if this has already been covered searched but can't find an exact answer)

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Hi,

Book your tour when you arrive, there is plenty to choose from. Indeed, some of the places you may wish to visit can be done alone.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Thanks AjarnAndy, I thought as much I think there's a tour deal at our hotel (indra regent) so many to tour guides to choose from though haha makes it impossible to compare

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,331 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

You'll also discover that you'll be able to get around easily without being tied to tours each day. Make sure that your hotel is close by a BTS (skytrain) station which will give you easy access all over the place. Most stations have maps of the system available which you'd find very useful.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Thanks travelkat, I mainly meant for trips to the ancient city and river kwai etc. We are staying at the infra regent are you familiar with that and the location?

Edited: 23 September 2012, 12:43
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

The Indra Regent is a pretty good hotel,in a garment district called Pratunam, and is close to some pretty good shopping as well as having its own market area around the hotel each night. There is a skytrain stop not too far away. I have a number for a guy who does private tours that I have used a number of times myself if you are interested. Having said that there are plenty of tour companies and you will most likely get a better deal onsite rather than from here in Oz.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Thanks hotfire, its hard to gauge the location of somethings without having been there before. Yeah the tour guide details would be great thanks, have been getting a few quotes just to work out prices and the all vary so much which makes it difficult.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Agree with the previous posters. Within Bangkok, you'll be best served avoiding tour groups and doing it yourself. You'll have a greater appreciation of daily life, spend less time stuck in traffic by not being in tour buses and save some money as well. Getting out to some of the old areas such as Ayutthaya, River Kwai etc is well worth using a tour group for your first time. Definitely book these once your on the ground at the hotel.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

Thanks Steven, good ideas...we were thinking just explore the city bt ourselves and hire a private guide for the out of town tours....have been in contact with Tim Somsook and his prices seem reasonable (not that is realy know haha)

Edited: 23 September 2012, 13:54
9. Re: Book Bangkok tour now or upon arrival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 10:17