We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating fruits in thailand

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
eating fruits in thailand

I'm going to Bangkok and Chiang Mai pretty soon.

Is it safe eating fruit sold at the street stalls?

I suppose I have to wash them, but tap water in Thailand has a reputation for causing diarrhea.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating fruits in thailand

Hi,

Yes, it is safe to eat fruit sold at street stalls, we haven't been sick from eating it.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating fruits in thailand

ssafos from Athens,

kalispera, tikanis?

I have visited your lovely country during my Greek phase many many times.

As an Italian, there was a time when I used to call Greece my second home and your sea was my water bed.

Now I have caught an incurable disease called Thai fever and the only way to cure it is by making frequent returns to be re-united with tuk tuk drivers extolling the virtues of the most incredible gems the planet has ever seen.

cephalonia, santorini, crete, corfu, skyathos, Mykonos and many others...wonderful memories. And of course in all these places I have tasted great pineapples and water melons.

As a Greek, you will be impressed both with the quality and abundance of fruit in Thailand. Street stalls are safe and sell it by the portions (standard or large) and it is cheap. In addition to the ones I mentioned above, try the mango and be adventurous with others like durian.

With regards to water, I understand your concern, in which case, pop in any seven eleven and relieve their shelves of one or two small bottles of water (around 7 to 10 baht last time I did this).

Enjoy Thailand

Yassu

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 21 September 2012, 20:31
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating fruits in thailand

Grazie tanto!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating fruits in thailand

Thanks a lot!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating fruits in thailand

parakalow! lol...

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating fruits in thailand

Kalo Taxidi

Edited: 21 September 2012, 21:34
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating fruits in thailand

In 37 years of visiting, or living in, Thailand I have not been sick from water or food. My only secret is to watch carefully as much as I can about the sanitation of where I eat. (No street food unless I see the vendor using running water to clean dishes, foodstuffs, hands, etc. - and this is often not done.)

To me, tap water in Bangkok is not delicious (it is heavily chlorinated). So it makes "tasty" but "not good tasting" tea, for example. Bottled water tends to lack such unattractive tastes - but tap water can probably do for almost anything, in a pinch. (Someone will immediately pipe up about concerns for the integrity of piping - and that's technically true. But, again, I have not been sick from the water, though YMMV.)

If you buy cut fruit from a street vendor (often really delicious, as the vendors normally know good sources and how to select the best fruit for their retail business), s/he will probably have used cutlery and fruit which has been washed in tap water (as is ours at home). Hopefully the fruit will be quite thoroughly washed - or (pesticide? and/or other) residue may be "punched" from the skin into the fruit by the cutting process.

Some years back, a workmate mentioned to the manager of our BKK workplace's lunch room how much he loved to have a glass of fresh fruit juice every day (at the kiosk in our lunch room, or elsewhere). The manager looked at him, paused, then quietly suggested that he cut back on fresh fruit juice from such sources, because of concerns about pesticide residue. Such residue had been found by investigative reporters in those little clear plastic bottles of "fresh fruit juice", and juice produced by those vendors with stacks of fruit and blenders, etc. that one encounters in markets, shopping centres, SkyTrain stations, etc.

Should you cut back? Your call. Maybe so, or maybe not on a short trip. But make sure that you very thoroughly clean the skins of fruit before eating, or cutting into, them. Use large volumes of tap water, beyond what you have available as bottled drinking water...

Dettol is available in Bangkok. (We don't go that far ourselves, but YMMV.)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating fruits in thailand

Thank you, you have been mostly helpful.

As a matter of fact, residues of pesticides is something to be taken care of in Greece too.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating fruits in thailand

Hahaha

Thank you.

Many people in this forum seem to be speaking greek,

london
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating fruits in thailand

Hi

We've eaten lots of fruit from many stalls over many years and never had a problem. We love how you can buy fruits like mango already diced and ready to eat on the go. As mentioned, do yourself a favour and stick to bottled water as much as possible. Most hotels we've stayed with are generous with free bottled water. We take a couple of 500ml bottles with us when out and about every day and usually grab a couple more along the way.

Hope you have a great time!

Best