We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

Hi,

We are visiting Thailand from Nov 8th to Nov 16th and looking at spending 3 nights in Bangkok and the rest either at Krabi to cover nearby islands of Railay & Phi Phi or go to Ko Samui and cover Ko Tao & Koh Phangan.

Any advice on what would be better? We'd like to explore the marine life and go scuba diving and snorkeling.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

November is bang in the middle of monsoon season on the Samui side, so I would avoid that area and head to the west coast, Railay and Phi Phi are better bets. Note that Railay is not an island, but is attached to the mainland, however, it can only be reached by long tail boat.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

Come in November, I would advice you to stay at Andaman coast for the better weather.

You can stay at Ao nang (beach) in Krabi from there you can take longtail boat to Railay,Pranang cave,Koh Poda,Koh Hong I recommend you to visit this island it's take 1 hour to go there ,also you can take ferry from Nang beach to Phi Phi for diving and snorkeling.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

I prefer the Gulf coast so I would normally advise going to Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan but you're going in the wrong month so go for the Andaman coast.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

Thanks RiniRabbit.

We will be visiting Thailand for the first time. Any recommendations on resorts that have their own dive centers? Is this recommended?

Also, would it make sense to split 4 nights - 2 nights @ Krabi and 2 nights @ Phi Phi or better to stay for 4 nights @ Krabi and just explore the nearby islands. Thanks in advance.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

I guess it depends what you want but in my opinion and as others have said you need to be aware of the rains then in the Gulf of Siam, also the Andaman side has far clearer waters and better beaches. So Koh Phi Phi/Krabi/railay for me......

Samui/Phangang etc also good but sea not as clear for sure in my opinion and better after december that side.

Have good time......

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

visiting thailand dis june. want to visit bangkok koh samui, koh phangan and ko tao krabi phuket.. please advice best internal transport. and good hotels .

we want economical internal transport water taxis or trains.

hotel good and safe but not so expensive.

Also advice best places for water sports saffari and other activities with charges

shopping places? and famous places a tourist should visit

7. Re: Krabi, Railay, Phi Phi vs. Ko Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 07:17