We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok first-timer

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
bangkok first-timer

Hi!

I'm planning on going to Bangkok for 3 days, later this month. I've been to Phuket before, but not Bkk, so I'm still a bit confused about certain things. Hopefully you can help me with some questions here...

I'll be spending my 3 day trip by trying to visit some of the must-see tourist sites (e.g the palace, temples, etc), but I wish to stay somewhat close to the major city attraction, because it'd be easier in terms of meal and (maybe) shopping, and also since I'm planning on doing a street photography of the Bkk people & the neighbourhoods. I'm not interested in doing the club/bar-hopping this time, so I'll pretty much try to stay away from that.

Therefore, which one is more comfortable, taking the skytrain or mrt? And with that said, would it be wiser to get a hotel that's near skytrain stations or mrt stations instead?

I've been trying to find the place to stay, and have been eyeing on some hotels in Sukhumvit district, but still couldn't decide which one should I choose for a 50-60 usd/night. I'm looking for a simple and minimalist hotel (as simple as Tune Hotels, if you've been to any), but I still couldn't find anything like it. And also, I'm a female traveler, and I love to walk here and there with my camera hanging on my neck, so I'm actually looking for some place that I can quite feel secure at, when I'm going out to get some dinner.

Been looking at 'On 8 Sukhumvit Bangkok' (saw the reviews at Tripadvisor and booking.com). I mostly like the fact that it's near the station. But I'm not very sure. What do you guys think? Has anyone been there? Or maybe other suggestions?

Kindly advise me. Thanks a lot, guys!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangkok first-timer

Go check out the chatuchak market (weekend market) and the floating market. Also, one of the places I really want to see is this place called "Gypsy Island." Tell me how it goes(:

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,481 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bangkok first-timer

It's only 3 days and if you choose a hotel not completely perfect just don't return ever again! There are millions of tourists that stay in hotels much cheaper than your price range all the time. On 8 is in a good location right at the foot of the Nana Skytrain.

Sukhumvit is a good location. Walk to Skytrain, malls, street vendors, restaurants and even travel agencies for tours.

The Skytrain, subway and Airport Rail Link are connected.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

See right hand "Top Questions" section for see and do things.

There is a Tune Hotel in Bangkok near Asok.

www.tunehotels.com/our-hotels/asoke-bangkok

(Stole the link from another post.)

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bangkok first-timer

Sukhumvit district is a good area to stay during your time in Bangkok - there is a skytrain station close by and we found that good to get around the city and in just a couple of minutes you can get to the shopping centres. During the evening is a street market which we very much enjoyed and has a great atmosphere.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bangkok first-timer

If you want to be near the main tourist sights then Sukhumvit is NOT to place to stay. The main sights are in an area called Rattanakosin which is a long way from Sukhumvit and its not served by either the BTS or the MRT. There are plenty of simple hotels in Banglumpoo, Khao Sarn Road and Phra Arthit, all fairly close to the big tourist sights such as the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Mahathat, Wat Arun, etc etc. If you want 'local photo ops' head for Samsen Road and Banglumpoo area, explore the back alleys and you'll be overwhelmed. One example is Samsen Road near Soi 20 there is a Tops Supermarket; behind it is a myriad of little alleyways where foreigners still get stared at and where there are some wonderful old tea houses and other traditional shops. Behind Wat Mahathat there is also a maze of alleys full of shops which run to and beside the river. There is little with this kind of local colour in Sukhumvit.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bangkok first-timer

Thanks, haiandbye-Infidelal-redbullover-bbtony.

I'll definitely go to Jatujak Market, the palace, the famous temples, and the original Thai (as suggested by bbtony, thanks a lot!). It's going to be a very packed & tiring journey, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

Yet, I think I'd better stay at Sukhumvit since it'll be easier in terms of meal and shopping (after a long day of exploring the temples and all the faraway places, it'll be good to go back to the hotel, take a shower, and later maybe wandering around the hotel for dinner).

Given the case, if I still wish to visit the palace-wat pho-wat arun in one go... it's still do-able despite the distance, right? I could just take a BTS to the farthest station, and then proceed the journey by cab to the palace and temples. Or, as I read on the previous post in the forum, take the BTS to Saphan Taksin station, take a boat to the Chao Phraya river, and alight at the pier next to Grand palace. Am I correct? Kindly advise me.

Thanks for the info about Tune Hotel Asoke, Infidelal.

Now it's hard to pick between Tune Asoke and On8 Sukhumvit. Budget and design-wise, I'd prefer Tune Hotel. But I'm not sure about the Asoke area. On8 really has good location, though.

Can anybody tell me more about the Asoke area?

Thanks a lot.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,835 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bangkok first-timer

I agree with bbtony. First time in Bangkok, only three days, stay close to the main attractions in the city's most atmospheric, most historical district. There are plenty of hotels and nice guest houses and, generally, you get a lot more bang for the buck in Banglamphu than in Sukhumvit in the 1000-1500 baht range. And there's a vast number of places to go out to eat. Hotel suggestions:

Lamphu Tree Hotel: http://www.lamphutreehotel.com/

Sourire @ rattanakosin Island http://sourirerattanakosinislandhotel.com/

One of the New Siam group especially New Siam Riverside: http://www.newsiam.net/ns/newsiam4.php

Erawan House in a quaint lane near the river, one of my favourites: agoda.com/asia/…erawan_house.html

Boonsire Place: http://www.boonsiriplace.com/index.html

Edited: 05 October 2012, 19:56
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bangkok first-timer

Thanks for the suggestion, bill2p.

Unfortunately, the hotels that you mentioned earlier were not really my kind of choice. They are quite old and pretty much designed with wooden-craving and all. I'm from Indonesia, and i must say that those hotels are quite similar to the ones we have here, which are also the kind of hotels that foreigners choose when they're in my country.

However, I'm really just looking for a nice clean bed with very simple furnishing, and modern kind of room. Tune Hotel Asoke is more like it, and they also offer a good all-in promotion rate, right now (USD25/night, inclusive of towels, wifi, ac, tv). Although I'm a bit worried of the location. And the fact that Tune Hotel usually has some surprising add-on-prices that guests' would know later on upon arrival, so I heard. I'm still reading the reviews...

On8 Sukhumvit is within a great loc, but the price is two times more expensive.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bangkok first-timer

I disagree about not staying in Sukhumvit. You are right it isnt that close to the main tourist sites but it is easy to get there by BTS and then the water taxi which is a great experience.

There is also a Khlong which goes right up to the nana part of sukhumvit.

Sukhumvit is very touristy, so it would depend if you want your photots to just be about loacal Thai areas , or more cosmopolitan areas.

United kingdom
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: bangkok first-timer

hi when are you arriving?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
967 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bangkok first-timer

You have nothing to worry about with the Asoke location (for the Tune hotel). I think the Tune location is actually better than the On8 location. There is a skytrain stop and an MRT station (underground) right at Asoke, and Asoke in general is a little bit nicer than the area around On8.

And where are you finding that promotional rate of $25 inclusive for the Tune?

Edited: 19 October 2012, 23:24