We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel to nong khai

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
train travel to nong khai

i am trying to book 2 tickets on train number69 1st class on thairailticket all is good until i want to select cabin i can only select the lower berth and to select the upper berth in the same cabin it will not respond any ideas what i am doing wrong thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel to nong khai

last time I had a problem booking seats online it was because the seats had sold out - it could be this??

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel to nong khai

no they are showing in green which means they are available i can book 2 lower berths is it because the upper berth is smaller and it may be a different price

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel to nong khai

We'll be doing BKK to Nong Khai by sleeper soon, thanks for the 'heads-up'.

Have you sorted out your accommodation yet?

Bellaria-Igea...
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel to nong khai

Geesh, it's a long trip from Bangkok to Nong Khai!

Never thought of taking the plane to Udon Thani and proceed by bus (it's only 1 hour away)

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel to nong khai

ycemann. Once you've added on travelling time to the airport, hanging around for the flight, possible delays etc, then you haven't saved much time over the overnight train.

The overnight train is also part of the Thailand experience, I've done it before to Nong Khai, and it's a 100% more fun than just doing yet another boring flight.

And not forgetting also that you've saved on the cost of one night's hotel, and as you'd have been asleep anyway you haven't lost any time from your holiday!

No brainer for me.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel to nong khai

The upper and lower berth are a different price. Lower berth more expensive.

Have you had any luck yet stilts7001?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel to nong khai

i cannot book it until 60 days b4 travel will take it as it comes if i cannot do it online or i can book two lower berths we are two guys so eh who cares thats what travel is about thanks to all comments

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,428 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train travel to nong khai

I just gave up trying to book it first class - always said sold out. I went back and bought online from Charlie Connection Travel on Samson Road (250THB commission).

What about the trip from Nong Khai into Vientiane? Should I take a tuk tuk to the bridge, walk through Lao Immigration, and then take another taxi/tuk tuk into town?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train travel to nong khai

daawgon - Have a look on Seat61 for connecting trains into Laos.

But it's easy enough to take a tuk-tuk to Friendship Bridge, and once through Laos Immigration take another tuk-tuk to Vientiene. It's about 15-20Km.

The tuk-tuk after Immigration is a nice introduction to the country, dusty road, lots of local life etc. I wouldn't do it in the rain though.

Why not break you trip and stay in Nong Khai for a few nights first? Lovely laid back border town right on the Meekong.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,428 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train travel to nong khai

"Why not break you trip and stay in Nong Khai for a few nights first? Lovely laid back border town right on the Meekong"

Thanks, LL - wish I had known that before I booked my Vientiane hotel