We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel/location best for kids

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
759 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel/location best for kids

I am planning our trip to Thailand for next year and looking at hotels in bangkok. I have narrowed it down to the Sheraton grande Sukhumvit or the shangri la riverside. We have two young girls who will be aged 4 and 6. We want a good pool and location easy for sky train. We have stayed at the Sheraton before and love it but wondered if the shangri la might offer more in terms of location ie by the river, near the temples and asiatique. If anyone has stayed in these areas before with children I'd love to know your thoughts! Many thanks.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

I hope you find someone t oanswer this fr you. IMHO--I just don't see any difference as to location that really matters as regards having young children along or not. Of course what the hotel might offer as far as pools, child care, different restaurants or buffet for picky eaters, etc will be important--but location in city....I just don't see it making a difference.

Sweden
Level Contributor
232 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

I would choose Shangri La as you are close both to Saphan Taksin pier where you can take the boat both to Asiatique and the temples and also next to skytrain

Not so much shopping and restaurants in the neighbourhood as Sukhumvit

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

Shangrila would be my choice of those 2

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

Location wise the riverside has more to offer and the choice would be Shangri-la

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
759 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

Thanks everyone, we are leaning towards the shangri la too, just for the riverside location, asiatique and the pool, nothing too hectic planned just lots of relaxation and maybe a temple. Thanks for your replies.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

For a quieter relaxing visit then definitely the riverside but you can feel like everything is out of the way and requires a trek. In Sukhumvit restaurants, shopping, and markets are closer at hand.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

Another vote for the Shang. We loved it there. Staying on the river is gorgeous, and the pools are fabulous. It's also literally on the doorstep of the Skytrain so little feet won't be doing too much walking to trainstops etc.

I am not a Mum but I could certainly see how location would matter with little ones. You don't want to have to walk 10 mins etc just to get to the train, and a great pool is going to go a long way to entertain them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

we stayed at the Chatrium riverside, little way out but on the river and a huge pool area overlooking the river. Rooms are spacious and there is a lovely buffet breakfast. They have a ferry every 15 mins that takes you to the station where you can jump on the monorail. Lots of great restaurants both around the station - Curry House is my pick

Love the ambience of the river.

london
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

We have a 6 year old and have stayed in The shangri-la many times, the pools are great and the river always has something going on to keep kids interested.

The skytrain is minutes away so you can Be @ Siam sq etc in a short time.

Another bonus.....ice-cream available @ breakfast :)

10. Re: Which hotel/location best for kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 10:17