We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok - Yes or No

Level Contributor
26 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok - Yes or No

My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand in early 2013, I have gotten mixed reports on Bangkok with some people loving it and others telling me to avoid it.

Any advice would be great:

- how many nights would you recommend staying there?

- if you had 2 days there what would your main activities be to experience the real Bangkok?

- is it possible to avoid the "Seedy" side and if so what are the best places to go for restaraunts / bars & experience Bangkok by night?

- do you need to go on tours during the day or is it easy to navigate on your own (safely)?

Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips, City Tours
Mandy Guide Smile
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Expique - Bangkok Tours and Experiences
Food Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Thai Sabai Life
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,038 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

Hi Barry,

The number of nights you plan on staying there will depend on what you want to see/do:

You can easily avoid any areas and you don't need to take a tour. However, do make sure your hotel is near a Skytrain station since it will make life a lot easier for getting around the city.

We usually eat at the food halls attached to the malls which are great for shopping. Indeed, the shopping factor alone is a good enough reason to visit Bangkok.

Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

If you're coming to Thailand for 3 months I'd suggest about two weeks in Bangkok would be perfect.

If i only had two nights, and had never been before, I would spend it seeing the sites between the foot massages, shopping, and eating.

The seedy side can be avoided without even trying. You'll find "good" restaurants whereever you go, they're everywhere, food is a Thai obsession you know?

It's easy to navigate your own way around, all it takes is an average intellect and a little research. If you choose the further research path, take a look through the FAQS on the right.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

First read the FAQs on the right side of this, the Bangkok forum page--alot of your questions can be answered there as to things to do and see in Bangkok.

As to whether you should go to Bangkok or not--skipping it would be like skipping Paris when going to France. It's true some few people don't like it, maybe because of traffic or being a large city. But the vast majority here IMO would tell you to definitely go. There is so much to see in and around Bangkok as far as sights, cultural, shopping, the people, and the city is just full of life.

There isn't a "seedy" side of Bangkok as such. Are there some areas where more adult activities and entertainment can be found if desired ---absolutely. But it's out of sight and you'd have to be looking for it to find it. The city is big (9 Million?) and the entertainment areas (not seedy IMO) are few and small. Even those areas aren't obvious in the daytime. IMO, a walk through parts of London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Rio, New York, San Francisco, los Angeles, Tokyo, are much more in your face and have more obvious "seedy" areas that yo uhonestly don't have to look hard to find. So don't even concern yourself with that.

After reviewing the FAQs on right then you can decide how many days--personally if it was my first time I'd consider a minimum of 3-4 days.

The best area, generally, for restaurants, night clubs, and pubs is in the Sukhumvit road area of Bangkok. Stay in hotel near a BTS skytrain station or MRT subway station which will give you easy access to most areas you'd want to see while avoiding the notorious traffic. Other areas of Bangkok have restaurants, pubs, clubs too of course--Silom, Riverside, Pratunam it's just Sukhumvit has more.

If you do your research, and look at street maps and BTS/MRT routes in Bnagkok, you can easily get around on your own without tours. be adventurous. But there are many fine tour guides recommended here and tours are cheap. You can do them from your hotel tour desks too.

Generally, it's mostly dependent on your budget for hotels, etc that will determine the length of stay and location. Here's some good hotel sites and a good bangkok information site to aid you in your research. The hotel sites are safe for use, reliable, recommended by many here, have pics, reviews by fellow travelers, maps of location vs BTS/MRT station and routes. Great prices too. There are other good ones too.

Good luck

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

Unfortunately the gutter press in Ireland and the UK has a lot to answer for. In terms of 'seedy' Bangkok is no better or worse than London and they aren't in your face; in fact in many cases you need to know where to look to find them.

Two days isn't enough time to see the main sights in what is the heart and soul of Thailand.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,345 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

Barry, you must include Bangkok on your visit to Thailand.

1.) 2 days is a very short visit but you can still see lots of Bangkok in 2 days.

2.) The 'Seedy' area is easily avoidable. You need to be looking for it.

3.) You don't need tours, you can do it yourself very safely. Just ensure you have a hotel near the BTS Skytrain.

The only thing to be wary of is some scams well documented on TA. Enter 'Bangkok Scams' in the search facility just above ask a question and you will get plenty of information.

e.g. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k5…

Go through the FAQ's on the right

e.g. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293916-c125983/Bangk…

Barry, you will really enjoy the Grand Palace and Wat Pho etc. Here are some sites you might find useful.

e.g. http://www.bangkok.com/attraction-temple/

Enjoy your trip !!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,202 posts
2,035 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

We went with young children and managed to avoid the seedy areas. We stayed at the Shangri la. We could travel to many of the boats by the river taxis, we could get to the malls by the skytrain or taxis and managed to fit a lot in just a few nights.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

Bangkok can be overwhelming for a 1st time visitor. Love it or hate it. Or in my case hate it then love it!

I like the analogy used by a previous poster about missing BKK being like going to France and avoiding Paris.

Maybe give yourself a bit more time. 2 days is rushed.

But if that's all the time you have then I'd see the Grand Palace & Wat Pho on one day by way of skytrain to Saphan Taksin station and river taxi to stop N9 - Tha Chang, then spend the 2nd day shopping at MBK and walking around the shops in the Siam district, and availing myself of a 1hr head, neck, shoulder & foot massage for between 200-300 Baht!

To wind down after being in Bangkok I'd suggest a subsequent trip to Chiang Mai.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

robol---appreciate the comment on my analogy (Paris) but I borrowed that from bbtony I believe (he used it last year and it stuck in my head!). LOL.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

Bangkok a big YES its a great city and if you want to avoid the seedy area's stay down by the Riverside as #6 suggests

Level Contributor
1,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok - Yes or No

Definately have to do Bangkok if your going to Thailand it's a wonderful city