We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street food

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Street food

Hello all,

Does each street stall serve only one dish? Do they have a sighn advertising this dish as in the food that you recommended in my other post as you spelt it, "food" was the name of my other post and thanks to you all I have found lots of different food I want to try, just now need to find it! Also do the street venders give change or do I need the correct amount? Also is it ok to point to what I want or is this considered rude? And do you stand in a que or is it a free for all and you have to make your self heard! Thank you for any advice given :)

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street food

pm youre email adress and i will forward you a great ebook on thai street food

Pat

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,985 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street food

Only in very touristy environments, or street food venues frequented by foreigners (like Sukhumvit Soi 38 in Bangkok), do carts have signs in roman characters. And then they often have the name of their specialties translated into (often poor) English or spelled in odd romanizations. There's no hard and fast standard romanization of Thai words.

So it helps to know what you're looking for. Just watch what they're cooking and point to it. One vendor may have a range of things that they make.

Thais are very polite and conscious of whose turn it is. But if you're the only farang, they might put you at the head of the line as a courtesy. I can't remember any time when there was a "scrum" of people trying to get something from a food stand. Maybe that happens at lunchtime near a big factory or a big office building. Or at the kanom stands near a school when classes let out.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, there's an app for $1.99 that may help. It's called "Thai Talking Food Menu." It shows a picture of each item, has its name in English and romanized and Thai characters, and a voice pronounces it. So even if you yourself can't get the pronunciation right, you can hold the phone up to someone and let him hear the audio or show it to him in writing.

enjoythaifood.com/thai-food-blogs/talking-ha…

Edited: 04 November 2012, 21:26
Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street food

You can download Eating Thai Food Guide at https://www.e-junkie.com/d/…

there you go

pat

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street food

Thank you both for the great help.:)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
288 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street food

You could also check out a fantastic blog called Migrationology. Loads of suggestions and inspirational. I'd recommend the area around Victory Monument, especially 'boat noodle alley'. And yes, try to carry smaller notes.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street food

Pointing at what you want to eat is fine, although I suggest that if done with a nice sile is even better!

It is always advisable to have 'small money' on you as sometimes the vendors may not have change for larger notes.

Street food is by and large very cheap so I would advise to be adventurous, after all if you don't like a particular dish you have learnt something and it hasn't cos you very much.

Enjoy!

For me street food is ne of the major attractions!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
16 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street food

My two cents, freshly returned so though I might help...

Q) Does each street stall serve only one dish?

A) Yes and No. Totally at the owners discretion.

Q) Do they have a sign advertising this dish?

A) Most of them either have the menu pasted on the cart, or have a menu card itself, most with the English definition of the food itself. You'll be more lucky (with the English names) with places where the tourists flock a lot; namely Sukhumvit, Khao San, Yaowarat Chinatown, Chatuchak Market, to name a few. Else, just point at the ingredients, which are displayed in the open and cross your fingers :).

Q) Also do the street venders give change or do I need the correct amount?

A) They do, else rounding it off as a tip also helps. One observation/suggestion. The SE Asian way of handing out money is with both hands, as a mark of respect. They really appreciate it when tourists too follow the same habit.

Q) Also is it ok to point to what I want or is this considered rude?

A) Although pointing is not taken kindly by some SE Asian communities, inanimate objects are an exception. Plus they do understand the language issue and in such cases, they too point at the menu card to help you help them.

Q) And do you stand in a que or is it a free for all and you have to make your self heard!

A) Depends on the popularity of the cart and the time of the day. Night times, esp. in the place I've mentioned above, its a bit of task to get the cart owners' attention.

Finally, if I may, a few of my fav street food corners.

1) At the beginning of Sukhumvit Soi 7, near the 7/11: Try Tom Yum Goong, Prawn Fried Rice, Thai Curry and Chicken rice are most recommended

2) Soi Polo Chicken, near Lumpini park: Its a small lane opp the park, keep an eye for ppl in black tee's who say they love chicken :)

3) There's a restaurant next to Hong Kong Noodles outlet opp. Hua Lampong MRT station, not very fancy. The Chinese pork sausages are impressive, and so was the Ice Coffee with Milk (not called as Cold Coffee).

4) Yoo Fish Ball on Yaowarat Road, near the Chinatown Market. Good Chinese food.

5) migrationology.com/2011/…

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street food

Thank you all so much for this wonderful advice, I'm so looking forward to putting it all in to action, the street food is what I'm most looking forward to,,Amod-Indap thank you for the wonderful advice and were you found your fav food, London chris I'm going to try and be adventurous as like you it is properly my major attraction!, shamrockitt great link I'll def try and find boat noodle alley,I also had never heard about handing money with both hands I will always try and remember to do it, :)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
16 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street food

@HellyHelly: You're welcome. Given your love for Thai food, here's something I thought you might like.

http://goo.gl/D7F3w

http://www.bangkokthaicooking.com/

These are cooking schools which teach how to cook basic Thai food, esp. aimed towards the tourists visiting. I tried a course here, and loved to the core. They give you a typical Thai market visit, cooking tips and you get to cook (alongwith a in-house recipie book and a wooden stir-frying spoon for my batch). There are many options, the one above met my requirements of distance from my hotel and their spread of dishes to be taught. Here' hoping you give Thai cooking a try, if you have a couple of hours to kill.

Cheers and enjoy Thailand.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street food

Thank you so much Amod-Indap I will deffinatly try and fit that in:)