We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Chinatown

Hi what is the best time to visit China town? Are there lots of shopping in this area(heard good place to buy shoes)?

I have also heard day and night time differs? Can I take a cab from sukumvit there and back? Are the bird nest soup safe to drink?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown

I would not put china town up amongst the top places to shop in Bangkok although there are some interesting shops and stalls to browse. I personanly like to stroll around there in the evening best check out the stalls and enjoy some great food at the same time, you can get a cab from sukhumvit although the roads around china town area are very congested. Can't help you with the birds nest soup I am afraid.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown

Thanks London! I have a weak stomach, not sure if I can take the street foods and bird nest :(

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown

If you didn't look for gold,necklace and eating at night , there is nothing for you.

For shopping at night you can go to Unionmall , take MRT to Phaon Yothin to get there.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
796 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown

We were just in Chinatown yesterday during our first visit to Bangkok around 3 to 5 pm and I was NOT impressed with the area. It was very crowded with stalls selling with what looked like junk. Saw lots of gold necklace stores but little else of interest. There were quite a lot of food stalls.

Our major purpose was to have a late lunch. Ate at the Shangraila Restaurant - which was very expensive by Thai standards but the food was very good and service excellent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown

Chinatown is for Gold at stated above and lots of junk. Its worth a visit to see the temple of Wat Traimit (Gokden Buddha) and some food.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown

The back alleyways (if you are a very patient person) are interesting to explore, but Chinatown (as its name implies) is not typical of Bangkok or Thailand. If you want cheap shopping your first port of call is always MBK mall at National Stadium BTS station.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinatown

Chinatown is for very local shopping. I would not make a special trip there.

There was nothing that I wanted to buy.

Bit like Chinatown all over the world!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,420 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinatown

Yaoworat is dressed up a bit and looks like most other "Chinatowns". But, Bangkok's Chinatown, in general, is down-and-dirty shopping. If you know what you want, and want it cheap, Chinatown is the place to go.

It's not really the place for casual window shopping.

9. Re: Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2013, 10:15