We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

Devon
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

We are travelling to Thailand with Vietnam Airlines in 4 weeks time, it is our first long haul

Flight and we ate apprehensive. I booked these flights a while ago and got a good deal

But am having major doubts about the airline now as many reviews say that the service and plane conditions are bad. Has anyone flown this route before with this airline as any feedback would be helpful.

Many thanks

Kelli

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
959 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

There is a dedicated forum on TA for airlines - you may want ot ask or do a search there for opinions

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Bicester
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

We are in the same position and we fly Christmas Day. Would like to here your feed back after your trip. Fingers crossed!!

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

I have never flown Vietnam Airlines from London to Bangkok, but, I have done a return Sydney-HCMC trip (and some internal flights with them as well). I would have no problems flying with them again, if the price is right.

The excellent thing (I assume it would be applicable for your trip too, maybe?) is the luggage allowance - 30kg for economy, which is great, especially since that's the usual amount allowed for those travelling on business class with other airlines.

In terms of flight entertainment, I must say that I had the misfortune of getting the seat that always had problems with the system. Fortunately, however, I could always swap seats with my family members who didn't want to use their entertainment system. Where other airlines might provide some kind of compensation (not necessarily cash-wise) for broken systems, I don't think Vietnam Airlines has got to that level of customer service yet. So, if your system doesn't work, I wouldn't get angry about it (I'm not sure the staff really tried very hard to fix my screen, but, having said that, I'm not sure there's too much they can do themselves) or expect any kind of "compensation".

I read the reviews too and was a bit apprehensive, but, I would catch them again. However, I must admit that I am not a picky person, so, as long as I get there safely and the plane and staff seem decent, then, that's all that really matters to me. We left and arrived on time for both international flights.

I think they're really trying to step up their game (they seemed especially proud of the fact that they were now part of one of the airline alliances), and move into more markets now. I think that, as long as you're going in with right expectations (e.g. don't go expecting a Singapore Airlines experience), then, it should be fine.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 00:18
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

Forgot to mention, our planes seemed to be relatively new (not sure about those used on your route) and I didn't have any broken seats, as some of the reviews I read about mentioned.

In terms of service, please do not go expecting 5 star airline service, or else, you will be sorely disappointed. The staff were nice, but, I can not say that they're on par with Singapore Airlines or others, and it would be extremely unrealistic to expect a three star airline to be, but, I can see that with more time, I imagine that things will improve and be on the up and up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

I have done the Sydney to HMC flight.

At that time there was no personal entertainment, so am very happy to read that now they do.

With this in mind I would fly with them again.

In flight service was reasonable.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

At the end of the day..you are going from a-b...Longhaul is what it is. Take a good book..drink lot of water and relax.

You will eventually step off the plane and see a magnificent city..

Happy holiday

Pat

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

We flew with them to Vietnam and would'nt have a problem flying with them again, as the others have said they're not on the same level as Emirates or Singapore but we've flown with a lot worse airlines.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

Just to add you can read reviews on this website.

www.airlinequality.com

Devon
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

Thank you all very much for your replies. I think we just need to have an open mind and not have high expectations as we did get a very low price for the flights as we booked 10 months early. Hopefully the excitement of getting to Thailand will outweigh the negatives of such a long flight!

Many Thanks

Kelli

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam Airlines London Gatwick to Bangkok

They have a fairly new fleet - newer than airlines like THAI. I've not flown your route but have flown with them a few times and found the service and overall experience to be perfectly satisfactory. Don't forget that there will be a plane change in either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh (Saigon).