We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

Hello my dear TA experts,

I really need your advices from the Thailand experts.

I have been thinking hard on making a trip to Thailand in January for 3 weeks but the little issue is that I'll be traveling so far on my own. I'm a 30yo females from Canada (asian looking), With all the recent young females whom died in Thailand I am a little bit unsure if I should go for it or not. I am a really experimented solo traveler and is always conscious about safety.

I was looking at other places to visit but I always come back to Thailand... Planning to go to Bangkok and the islands on the south.

What do you guys think?

Thanks a million

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

Do you wander down dark lonely alleys at night, get totally smash on alcohol and assorted chems then go wandering around, accept rides from strangers, drink strange concoctions etc?

DONT do in Thailand what you will NOT do in Montreal.

That is the simplest advice I can give. Use your brains and you will be alright.

Also define "experimental solo traveller"?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,333 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

If you are the type that parties like a pirate, drinks yourself stupid, and follows strangers home, then you may want to give traveling alone a pass.

But, if you are sensible, enjoy your visit to Thailand. Really no more to worry about here, than in Canada.

If and when "socializing", don't drink "bucket" drinks, cheap cocktails or leave your drink unattended.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 23:02
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

dude, hello kitty, really? I think you've been in LOS too long man.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

Thank you a lot for your inputs.

What I meant (sorry) is that I am an experienced traveler - not experimental.

I have traveled a lot by myself in europe but i am aware that asia is not the same. I did my homework already and read a lot about what's going on in Thailand recently.

"Do you wander down dark lonely alleys at night, get totally smash on alcohol and assorted chems then go wandering around, accept rides from strangers, drink strange concoctions etc?"

Not at all - I never go out for a drink at night and I am not really social (of course I am polite but I am being really careful about talking to strangers even though I am a fun and friendly girl). So say yes to bike ride from a stranger - never ever!).

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

Lol then you'll be fine.

While being safe that doesnt mean you shouldnt interact with the locals either. Just be careful as sometimes the locals see being friendly as leading to something more..if you know what I mean.

I had a female friend from TO who travelled by herself; BKK- Chiang Mai - Phuket/Krabi and had no issues. She enjoyed her trip and didnt feel unsafe and she was a tiny little thing.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

I travel solo several times each year in Thailand and have not yet had a problem. So long as you remain safety vigilant and as MMonkie said, "Don't get to friendly with the locals" all will be fine.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

"With all the recent young females whom died in Thailand I am a little bit unsure if I should go for it or not. I am a really experimented solo traveler and is always..."

How many young women do you think died in Thailand over the past year? With over 17 million tourists visiting Thailand last year the amount of female tourist deaths has to be a very small percentage. Unless you feel especially unlucky - since you don't drink excessively or rent gigolos - you shouldn't have any real problems.

Since you say you have traveled a lot in Europe you could have already been in countries that are more dangerous but there wasn't a lot of publicity about it.

You should be okay in Thailand but keep your wits about yourself and take normal precautions. On your list of "female tourist deaths" how many were older retired women? (They die too every now and then but usually by old age or looking the wrong way crossing a street and walk into on coming traffic!!)

You are more likely to die in an accident if you rent a motorbike!

usa
Level Contributor
409 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

u r safe anywhere in the world if u stay realistic. don't let any guys hook up with you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,333 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

I dnt knw abt evrywhre!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Women travelling alone - January for 3 weeks: Safe

I think she's referring to the 2 Quebec sisters that met a mysterious death in their hotel room on Phi phi. It was fairly big news over here in English Canada, tv and print so I'm guessing there must've been more coverage in le belle province.