We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best thai restaurant in bkk

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best thai restaurant in bkk

Any recommendation for a "good" thai restaurant in bkk?

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

Views vary. Best to do your own research, helped by TA reviews.

But don't rely only on TA reviews. Websites with professional reviewers are important, also. Here's an example:

asiatatlerdining.com/thailand/…

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

If you're staying at the riverside Tongue Thai and Harmonique are favourites.

Mentioned in this post
Tongue Thai
Tongue Thai
91 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Harmonique
Harmonique
696 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

Personally, I will take personal reviews over "professional" reviews, any day. Professionals are often comped and usually catered to. They are often afraid to admit that they know squat about a particular cuisine, yet review it like an expert.

Knowing someone featured in Asia Tattler, I can tell you that much of their print is little more than promotional press releases.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

For me the best thai restaurants are the street vendors and 'hole in the wall' setups full of locals eating. Hungry when your out, just look for the crowd, join in, and start eating.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

I agree with Oct 6 and diinaus. The best eating is very often not in fancy restaurants, and its often a word of mouth thing - good food can be found on almost any city street. Apart from promotional press releases, restaurant reviewers are often either getting free meals, or in some cases being paid to give good reviews.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

Go for the street food and small no name places full of locals. For me the problem with TA reviews is that they are overwhelmingly written by tourists going to the kind of restaurants tourists go to. That's not usually where the best food is found.

My favourite local restaurant isn't on TA and if it was the review would complain about the tables being old, menu being a but dirty, being next to a busy road, chairs being too small and the food being too spicy. 'Worse dining experience ever!' The food of course is fantastic, very well cooked using good ingredients bought from the market just a few hours ago.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
127 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

I am recommending a book. See link below. This is good. i've already bought one.

amazon.com/Bangkoks-Top-Street-Food-Stalls/d…

also try wongnai.com and foursquare.com. The moblile apps also available.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

www.foodspotting.com/find/in/Bangkok-Thailand

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

Gippy3000 that sounds just like my kind of place. Who cares about the decor when the food is good.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best thai restaurant in bkk

If Gippy's sounds like your kind of place, you might like Polo Rice Soup:

http://goo.gl/maps/OMS7j