We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in BKK (11 hours), two airports, logistic questions

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
505 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Layover in BKK (11 hours), two airports, logistic questions

Hello we fly Air Asia from Krabi to Don Muang airport (arrive around 1:15 pm) and we have international flight on Korean Air from main international airport to Seattle around midnight. It will be beginning of January and it will be Sat.

Initially I thought we would be able to check in our luggage in Krabi all the way through Seattle, but since we arriving and departing from different airports probably it won't be possible.

Our plan was to spend half a day in Bangkok to see main temple, and just get a feel for it, and now I have a couple more things to worry about - spend time on relocating between the airports and decide what to do with our luggage.

- Is there luggage storage at Suvarnabhumi BKK?

- If not, do you think Korean Air can check in luggage like 10 hours in advance? (I know some airlines in USA allow to checking luggage starting 4 hours before the flight and not earlier)

- Would it make sense to hire taxi for half a day which would take us different places and wait and just keep our luggage there - there will be three of us, and I have no idea how much that would cost.

We'd like to get most of our 11 hours in Bangkok (even less considering checkin time, transfer between airports, etc), since that will be all we have in that city, get a bit tired so flights would feel like a nice alternative.

Thanks,

Anna

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in BKK (11 hours), two airports, logistic questions

I can't answer all your questions but I would be very hesitant to hire a taxi driver to watch your bags while you get out of the car. Just does not seem like a good idea to me. I am sure the vast majority of them are ok, but I would be worried that they might take off with your luggage. And that's not a fear I have of taxis just in Bangkok, I wouldn't do it in any country to be honest.

Can you rent a super cheap hotel room for the day where you can drop your bags securely, have a shower and freshen up and use it as a base? Not sure if that's in budget for you, but I am sure you could get something super cheap?

Edited: 30 November 2012, 07:05
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in BKK (11 hours), two airports, logistic questions

Yes, you definitely won't be able to check luggage all the way through!

Yes there is luggage storage at Suvarnhabhumi, but first you have to get there, this takes around 50 minutes on the transfer buses provided (although can take longer dependent on traffic conditions). Doubt you can check luggage in so far in advance, so you will definitely have to make use of luggage storage.

No, it wouldn't make sense to hire a taxi as road conditions and traffic can be horrendous, you could spend a long time sitting in a traffic jam in Bangkok.

By the time you've gone through customs at Don Meuang and got the bus transfer to Suvarnabhumi, it might be late afternoon, say 3pm - you have to check in for your next flight 3 hours beforehand, so that is 9pm, that gives you approximately 6 hours to play with. Travel time into the city by train is say 40 minutes each way, so that cuts it down to just under 5 hours - not really a very long time to get into the city, have a look around. The Grand Palace and temples close around 4pm I think so you won't have time to get to them.

My suggestion is to take advantage of the tours that are offered at Suvarnabhumi Airport if you have enough time:

airportsuvarnabhumi.com/special-tour-package…

Otherwise make use of the facilities at the airport and relax before going home.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 07:19
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in BKK (11 hours), two airports, logistic questions

Suggests are

a) that you transfer from Don Muang Airport to Suvarnabhumi Airport by the bus transfer system & as you are flying domestically from Krabi, there will be no customs nor immigration, just a wait for your luggage.

b) Alternatively, book a limo / minivan for about 2100 bht directly from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi Airport (thailimousinecenter.com/services-rates/…) or (http://www.limousinethailand.com/our_tariffs.php ) This would make the most use of your time rather than waiting for buses etc

Expect to arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport at about 3pm buy bus or earlier by limo if all goes smoothly. Drop your bags off at the left luggage office unless of course Korean Airlines will accept your luggage and as they are frequently flying into BKK airport, they may well do.

Then depending on what you plan to do in Bangkok, I would recommend getting the Airport Rail Link from the station on the ground floor of the airport into PHAYA THAI station. There are express trains and city trains running frequently and take 20 mins (express) or 35 mins (city). Once at Phaya Thai station you can access the BTS train system

airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/index.html - Airport Rail Link

bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx - BTS underground

The BTS is also a reliable and frequent service and now you have to decide where to go next?

To get back to the airport, your options are to re-trace your steps as the Airport rail Link runs until midnight, as does the BTS.

Or get a taxi out the airport from where-ever you find yourself in Bangkok. Expect to pay about 500 bht plus tolls (75 - 100 bht) from central Bangkok. My tip would be find a large hotel close to where you are in Bangkok and ask the staff at the front to help you with the taxi & use the meter!!.

Good luck

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
505 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in BKK (11 hours), two airports, logistic questions

Thank you very much for suggestions! I'll read in more details the exact transportation options, but it's sad I will have to waste so much time on transportation / checkin while attractions are open.

I like the idea of maybe renting hotel room for a day - in this case I will need to find good location as a base for touring attractions and get there directly from Don Muang, tour the city a little bit and then take shower and go to the main international airport.

I'll try to research this option first, since I'm not sure if I'll visit that city again any time soon and I'd like to see at least some places (not interested in shopping).

I was also reading I could hire a tour guide for a day and it should be safer option to leave luggage in the car and guide should speak English and know the places, will look at this option too.

Thanks again for suggestions.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 15:13
5. Re: Layover in BKK (11 hours), two airports, logistic questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:15