We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
42 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

I'm planning to take an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. A couple of questions, before making final decision.

1/. Is it clean/comfortable?

2/. Is it safe?

3/. Instead of buying online, is it possible to buy it at the ticket office one day in advance upon my arrival at Bangkok? We are travelling in early January 2013.

Thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

1. Yes but bear in mind a lot of the rolling stock is getting on a bit, and Thailand uses a narrow gauge which is not as comfy a ride as the standard gauge used in most countries.

2. Pretty much so.

3. Yes but there is always a risk of what you want not being available.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,562 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

I agree with bbtony I would book in advance to be sure of getting what I wanted.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

its ok make sure you get a first class cabin, but don,t bank on too much sleep quite a nice bit of scenery the last couple of hours, has a small dining area where you can grab something to eat but personally i would have a good meal before leaving bangkok, the cabin in first class has 2 bunks and you get privacy plus air con the person on the upper bunk had better be warm blooded because the air con duct is a few inches from them, we ended up sharing the lower one no jokes please it was the wife.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
42 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Thanks all for the advice. Tried to book online via thairailticket.com, Booking for the two night Trains is closed. (I don't believe they are fully booked!) Are there any reliable travel agents who accept online booking from foreign tourists? Thanks!

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Hi

If you're trying to book for January there is a very good chance they're sold out, as this time of year is peak season.

You could try contacting http://www.thailandtrainticket.com/ they are a very reliable agent in Thailand. I've used them myself on a couple of occasions and never had any issues.

Edited: 09 December 2012, 21:02
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

hi, we did the overnight train as a family of four and found it not only clean and safe, but fun. the attendants were really helpful, the bed linens were very clean and crisp and there is plenty of area to put your valuables inside your sleeping area to keep it safe and secure. someone would practically have to climb on top of you to steal them.

Jo

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
42 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Thanks Jo for sharing the experience.

And Lushlynds, I've sent inquiry through thailandtrainticket.com and will see what happens.

Thanks again!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

If you are going 2nd class then use the state railway of Thailand booking system: they send you a PDF and you print it.

Obviously if you have gone 1st class then you have to use an agent.

We have used Thai trains a fair bit and would say you are doing the right thing by booking!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
42 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

hi twhite, I've sent an inquiry to the agent recommended, but so far no reply. Which website you used for booking? The one at thairailticket is close for the day/time I wish you travel. Maybe it's fully booked?!

W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Hello, I wasn't too sure what to expect from the night train but actually it was a fun and memorable experience. The food was far better than I expected and the scenery in the morning was great. I put some pictures on my blog if you're interested- bangkokgirlblog.com/2012/…