We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels without safe deposit boxes

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels without safe deposit boxes

Looking at many hotels in Bangkok(A$50 per night) and I notice many don't have safety deposit boxes. I expect many of you have stayed in these hotels, what do you do? I don't want to carry all my money & passports etc. Any suggestions. thanks

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels without safe deposit boxes

Usually the front desk has a safe, you can lock up your valuables there.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels without safe deposit boxes

If the front desk doesn't have a safe the only thing you can do is lock them in your luggage or carry your valuables with you in a body pouch.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels without safe deposit boxes

Even many cheap 500 baht - 800 baht hotels have safes or safety boxes at the front desk. I would be surprised if your $50 hotel does not have at least a safety box. Don't put your big pile of cash in a safety box and then just plop the safety box key on a dresser in your hotel and leave the room. At least lock the key up in your suitcase. This is especially important if you have random guests visiting your room. (In that case never leave the room with wallet, passport, cell phone, jewelry, etc. out on the dresser while you take a shower! Otherwise your random guest will be out the door with everything as soon as the shower turns on!)

Not too many safety boxes or safes that I have come across in cheap hotels are big enough for standard laptops. When I am in one of those rooms I lock my laptop in my bag. I never advertise that I have a laptop. Even when the maid comes in I put it away or cover it until she is gone.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels without safe deposit boxes

Usually if the room does not have a safe there are boxes for guests use at reception, this is usually a free service for guests.

If in doubt e mail the hotels direct and I am sure they will be delighted to set your mind at rest.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels without safe deposit boxes

thank you all...I presumed that no safety deposit boxes meant there were none at reception as well...It's really just cash and travel documents that I was concerned about..

6. Re: Hotels without safe deposit boxes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:17