We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

Day 4

Last day in Bangkok before heading to Phuket (I'll get round to doing a JBR on Phuket). We left hotel at 8.15am and walked to Lumpini park. The park is an oasis of calm against a backdrop of skyscrapers. There were people doing tai chi, joggers, cyclists and people just chilling out on a Sunday morning.

Unfortunately we didn't see the famous lizard. Think there was a celebration or something for the King as lots of people were in yellow t-shirts. There was a little market which was selling fresh fish, fruits, cooked food, clothes and bits of homeware. We headed back to the hotel to finish packing and left for the airport at 11am for our next adventure in Phuket. There wasn't much traffic so it didn't take us long to get to the airport.

Extra night

We came back to Bangkok for 1 night before flying back to England. We arrived at 4ish but due to the traffic it took us quite a lot of time to get to our hotel. We stayed at Oakwood Trilliant in Sukhumvit which we were very pleased with. We dropped our bags and headed out to Terminal 21 shopping centre.

This place has 9 floors and each floor represents a different country - San Fransisco, London, Rome and Japan etc. The toilets are also themed and had the Japanese toilets which are heated. There are numerous eateries and the food court on the 5th floor was superb. The food was so cheap and tasty.

We had a long walk around Sukhumvit, mooching around the street market stalls, then we took a walk to Soi Cowboy to see the nightlife and how this compared to Bangla Road in Patong, Phuket. There were lots of massage shops by the hotel, and I found their prices to be cheaper than in Phuket.

Overall we loved Thailand, in particular Bangkok. There is just something about the place - the smells, the buzz, the shopping and the people were very friendly. We packed in a lot, but there are still loads of stuff left to do. I have summarised below some tips or observations for travellers:

- We exchanged a little bit of Baht in England for the taxis and food on the 1st day, and took cash with us to exchange out there in order to get the better rates. There were plenty of exchange booths, however make sure that your notes aren't marked as they didn't accept these.

- We sprayed mozzie spray whenever we went out, especially when we were near the river as I'm prone to bites and get allergic reaction plus we had read about Dengue Fever on the forums.

- I took a normal shoulder bag and when we were walking on the pavements I would walk on the inner side whilst my partner would walk on the road side. We kept all our important stuff in the safe and only carried cash that we needed for the day.

- Make sure you keep yourself hydrated. There are plenty of 7/11's around and drinks were cheap. I loved the green tea with honey and lemon for 16B.

Happy travelling peeps

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

Great reports!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

Another good one:)

Thanks Cathy

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
518 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

Thanks for the great JBR's, good reading your views. Helpful for our trip in February.

Chrissy

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

Another great read, thanks.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

I loved your JBR's too. So much information, helpful I mean! You did well to tackle the water taxis on you first visit,

Thanks Maz !

Edited: 03 January 2013, 09:11
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

Thanks for the great report!

Will check out the Oakwood when next in bangkok sounds pretty cool!

7. Re: JBR - 28 Nov - 2 Dec - Part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 23:17