We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

usa
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

I am visiting thailand for 3 weeks, first in Bangkok for few days. I may not carry my phone with me due to international roaming charges or Maybe I will just take it with me but remove and leave the sim here before I fly to BKK.

How can I make calls to USA? Is there any cheap prepaid sim card and prepaid phone card I can buy to insert in my phone so I can make and receive calls to and from USA?

How can I get such and where?

any info would be appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

You can get prepay sims from the phone companies that have good rates for international calls. An example is the intersim from True: www.truemove.com/en/Inter-SIM-Prepay.rails

usa
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

what about the phone? my phone from USA will be simless cos i am removing the sim card and leave it here to avoid international roaming and long distance charges.

can I use my phone for this sim?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

The will be booths at the airport when you arrive giving out sims .. they will put in your phone and get you setup. You can then load some money on it.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

You can use your phone if it is unlocked, i.e. can work on any carrier.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

Best thing to get is Skype or viber both apps cost nothing to call anywhere in the world as long as you have web access or WiFi I use viber all the time to speak to my mate in thailand and I'm in UK

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

I have an unlocked phone that I use while in Thailand. You'll have to make sure yours is unlocked. If AT&T or T-Mobile won't unlock it for you, take it to a cell phone repair store in your area and they can do it reasonably.

I tried getting 2 different phones unlocked at MBK in Bangkok but no one could do either one, so I'd suggest getting it unlocked while still in US. That way, as one of the other posters stated you can buy your sim card at the airport and they'll set it up for you too.

Mentioned in this post
Mbk
Mbk
163 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,301 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

All of the Thai providers have dialling codes which replace the default international access code 001 or "+" and give you cheap rates abroad. Calls to the US are among the cheapest, starting at 3 baht a minute. So DTAC has 004, AIS has 005 and 00500, True has 006, and 008 and 009 are available to all phones.

To call the US on AIS's cheapest service, for example, you would dial 00500-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. The rate would be 3 baht per minute.

usa
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

Yes my T-Mobile samsung galaxy s2 is unlocked. I just need info on how to make andreceive calls to and from usa. If I buy a sim card will it automatically select a number for me and the minutes and rates and roaming within Thailand?

Mentioned in this post
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,301 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

The SIM card will make your phone "think" it's a Thai phone with a particular number embedded in the card. The rates for local calls and SMS and for international calls on the default 001 or *+" access code are as detemined by the calling plan you select, but they're very low in any case.

International calls on alternative access codes work as I explained above. There is no charge for RECEIVING calls in Thailand (as it is in most of the world outside North America) so your friends and family in the US can call you and it won't cost YOU anything. (They'll pay for an international call, though.)

All of Thailand is "local" for cellphones, so there is no roaming within Thailand. Your SIM card from Bangkok works in Chiang Mai, Buffalo-buri and even outlying islands. You can get international roaming on your Thai SIM and use it for trips to neighbouring countries, but it's a lot cheaper to just get local SIMs there.

My favourite provider (just because I've been with them for over 10 years) is AIS, but many people like DTAC and True. All three are represented at the airport where the nice people will sell you a SIM card (they're more or less given away free nowadays), top it up with credit, put it in your phone, activate it and check to make sure it's working.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,301 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap phone calls to USA from Thailand?

Since you have a smartphone, you may want to get a data plan for it as well. AIS, for example, has a 1GB for one month volume-based plan for a flat fee of 350 baht, which in my opinion is ideal for visitors. Then you could also use Skype to call your family in the States. If they don't use Skype, you can use Skype-out to make calls for 1¢ a minute.