We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

Why wasn't the line built out further west beyond the National Stadium, to the Grand Palace & Wat Pho area ?.

Why don't the stations have escalators ?, some of the station platforms must be 5 or 6 stories above ground level, its a lot of steps to climb.

Just two things that have me wondering why ?.

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

There's no answering your first question. The Skytrain and the MRT are being expanded rapidly - a dozen or more lines/extensions are either under construction already or starting this year. Do remember they are built for commuters rather than tourists. As for escalators, plenty of stations have them, most going up.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

Jaynewcastle1,

Good observations.

I would agree with rubarabbit's comments completely.

May I also add that I have been very impressed with the Sky train in general.

Yes they tend to be busy but it is good to see that the platforms are wide, they are patrolled by guards and also well lit. The service seems to run smoothly and the airconditioning for a westerner visiting a city with a tropical climate is very welcome.

Have fun

Giorgio Federico

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

Money...plain and simple as it is privately funded..Here's the wiki history and the latest news on new stations being built.The new Bearing station opened in 2011 and has proved to be such a success that passenger numbers are manic on rush hour afternoons..Here's the latest station news..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTS_Skytrain

coconutsbangkok.com/news/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

I have read that they did not install escalators at the time of building, simply because they did not think of it at the time.

Whether, this is true or not I don't know.

But it sounds logical enough, why else would they have not installed them.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

why install them, a few flights of stairs is probably good for the heart :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

That's what I tell the missus everytime I let her carry the bags..it's good for you!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

Climbing stairs is all very well if you're fit and healthy, but what about people who aren't so lucky? Surely the disabled, infirm, and those who are temporarily incapacitated are catered for??? If not, why not?

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

There ARE escalators at many of the stations.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

The escalators are typically at opposite corners, as in the ends of ONE lines of the letter X. The rest are stairs. And yes, it feels like 4 stories to climb, I'm really glad that my favorite hotel in Bangkok is located about 1.5 to 2 minutes walk to the escalator going UP to the skytrain from the street.

The only down escalators, that I know of, are at the big SIAM station, where the two BTS lines meet. Otherwise, in my experience, you always have to walk DOWN some stairs. (down is easier than up.... lol)

But if you have bags to handle, it can be a problem! Would love to see a lot of escalators added to all stations.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 queries, regarding the Air Train (BTS)

I think the BTS is very good & I'm very impressed, but unfortunately so does everybody else, I've not yet got an uncrowded train on the Sukhumvit line yet, let alone a seat :). The Silom line is quieter, & have got a seat nearly every time I've used it.

I didn't realise its still being built, so more stations are on the way. The stations have also been built to cater for 6 train cars per train apparently ( currently 4 cars per train used at the moment). I'm assuming they're just waiting for new train cars to be delivered, before they increase capacity which is badly needed on the Sukhumvit line.

I do like travelling above the ground, and being able to see the city. The frequency of the trains is very good as well. I have found escalators at a couple of stations now, which saves me from a potential heart-attack :)