We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lumpini Park

hong kong
Level Contributor
269 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Lumpini Park

Lumpini Park is widely recognised as one of the major landmarks in Central Bkk. What are its attractions and when is the best time to see it? Thanks folks

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lumpini Park

By western standards its not that big; its attraction is a very pleasant green space in the heart of a busy city. Its has a lake, sports center, library, and fitness center. Its popular early morning with joggers and others taking some exercise, and if you can take the heat its a great spot to picnic and watch the numerous monitor lizards that live there.

There is a much bigger and much more beautiful park in the suburbs Rama 9 Park. Its reachable by BTS and then taxi.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 05:48
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lumpini Park

Watching the locals perform Tai Chi.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lumpini Park

For me Lumpini Park is the centre and its a great piece of greenery and space surrounded by skyscrapers and the city. To one side Silom and the Riverside to the other side Siam and Sukhumvit. Another direction on the metro takes you towards Hualamphong.

Its a good place to meet other tourists. Just watch the joggers, power walkers, skaters go by in the searing heat. Look at the lake and the many eccentric Monitor Lizards crawling around the banks. Hire a pedal boat, feed the fish in the lake. There's many of those small turtles plus a good variety of ornithology life around the lakes

Then around 5pm in the hour before sun down if your still feeling energetic, join in with the 3 or 4 aerobic classes at various points in the park where many locals join in for free.

Like rubarabit says Rama 9 park is probably the best in Bangkok. Also have a look at the three parks at the back of Chatuchak ,they are very pleasant. Easy to get to on the BTS to Mo Chit or Metro to Chatuchak Park

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lumpini Park

I visited lumpini park in my last visit, last month and found it a great place where to spend some leisure time.

In addition to the great comments above, early morning or late afternoon may provide better lighting conditions if you are into photography as there are so many interesting scenes to capture.

The park is easily reached and there at least two MRT station near opposite gates.

Definetely worth a visit.

Giorgio Federico

Collaroy Beach
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lumpini Park

My favourite time to visit Lumpini Park is at sunrise, to join in with the locals for some early morning aerobics.

hong kong
Level Contributor
269 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lumpini Park

Thanks everyone for such informative introductions.

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lumpini Park

Please can anyone help me, my daughter and friend are going backpacking flying into Bankok, does any one know of a good safe hostel that they do not have to travel to far to, that is by the beach,

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lumpini Park

Micheal - its bad manners to jump into someone else's posting, even more so when its not about the same subject. May I suggest you open a new thread? FYI there are no beaches in Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lumpini Park

Lol rubarabbit. There's also no hostels in Lumpini Park.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lumpini Park

Some people sleep on park benches.