We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much should I bring? Thank you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
How much should I bring? Thank you.

Hi

the last time I went to Bangkok was 7 years ago.... I cant really remember how does Bangkok looks like..

Planning to visit bangkok this New Year. Can anyone advise... what is the est. expense on food per meal? taxi fees?

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

Have a read of the FAQs to the right of this message, there are lots of facts and figures about what you are asking, also you need to read a few pages of the forum to see that your questions have been asked hundreds of times.

Food costs between 30 and 3500 TB per meal. Taxis a bit more than street food but cheaper than a 5 * restaurant meal.

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

Food - depends on where you go and as Kevin RL has already stated the range is huge but the wonderful thing in Bkk is that food can be both cheap and tasty too. Plenty of good threads here.

Drinks- depending where you go, money will flow out just like beer does in a beer garden. This can easily be the most expensive and ranging from less than 10thb for a bottle of water in seven-eleven to 1,000thb plus in a bar like the one at the top of lebua state tower.

Taxis, when they put the meter on, it starts at 35thb. Not too expensive for most tourist. Snag: traffic.

Tip: avoid taking a standing taxi if you can especially near tourists areas. Try and flag one down on the move.

Enjoy

Giorgio Federico

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

You can bring as much as you want or as little as you need.

You can travel upscale or down, really depends on what attracts you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

Its so varied price wise just bring the most you can. You can eat very cheaply off the street and use the syktrain for travel.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

Bf n I was there in Dec and spent 8 days in Bangkok. we had massages daily, bought a whole bunch of souvenirs, had room service meals 3x, ate at hotels n decent restaurants, went to tiger zoo ( most expensive thing we've done in bkk)... we spent a total is US$ 1,900.00 only.

Chennai, Tamil...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

I spent about USD 900 for 12 days (1 person) including decent food, last minute hotel bookings, tours, transportation and shopping.

But I rather believe that it depends on how much you want to spend.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

In old times the noodle soup on the street did cost 10 thb, nowadays 30-50 thb.

Satays on the street cost 10-20thb each, a bag with pineapple or melon is usually 15thb, mangos 20 thb on the street, coca cola cans bought on the street cost 15-20 thb.

McDonald meals are 99-150 thb, sundae 29 thb.

Mbk has an international foodcourt on the 6th floor, food varies about 100-400 thb per meal. Central World 7th floor and Big C 4th or 5th? floor have enorm amount of eateries and restaurants , they seem to be very popular all day-evening long and due to competition, you can find special deals too.

A good Dinner for two incl some drinks could be around 1000-1500 thb.

All this is based on last months experience ..

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

Forgot drinks:

A big bottle of local beer is 80-120 thb on the street, softs often 50 thb, thai whisky small bottle around 200 thb.

In the bars and restaurants small local beer is usually 140-180 thb, clas of wine about 200-300thb, bottle of wine around 1500 thb and up.

Cheers!

9. Re: How much should I bring? Thank you.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 07:18