How many have noticed that TA has added about 5000 "new listings" in the restaurant section for Bangkok. Additions extend beyond Bangkok, as well.
Many of us have wanted to see a new addition or two to the listings for restos, hotels, and night spots. So it's nice to see TA being responsive, perhaps, to such wishes.
But some of the listings suggest that vetting of the source materials (some POI database(s) from wherever?) might be in order.
I was curious to see if there were any new listings that are favourites of mine. I went to the bottom of TA's restaurant list, and started working backwards (up the listings). Previous runs of this approach found, for example, the MBK Food Court with no reviews to that point - so I submitted one - apparently the first, of this legendary place. This time, there were (are) 226 pages of listings. SomboonDee Seafood, at #1383, is normally the lowest-rated/ranked Bangkok resto in TA, so this suggests that about 5400 restaurants in TA's current 6778 restos in Bangkok lack reviews. A gold rush of opportunity for the TA community!
The listings just below are included in the bottom 12 pages 388 institutions currently classed as restaurants by TA.
1. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - a nice place. If you've been there, a review might help others.
2. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - ditto.
3. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm, is this a duplicate of this one?:
4. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm, a duplicate of this one?
5. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm
6. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm, is this Hillary Bar #3 (or whatever the number of the Soi 11 branch), next to AVA just noted?
7. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm - checked the Bangkok Post listing to be sure..
8. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm. If someone looks farther, could one share with us what other "restaurants" might be included in this new list?
Someone else is welcome to continue on that path, to possibly uncover more, and possibly more intriguing, listings. (But, in a posting that I sent to TA staff on listing #8 above, I suggested that TA do a bit more due-diligence before posting such a collection of places - all placed in the "restaurant" category.)
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Results from this thread might be useful to TA staff on other forums, such as "Help us to make TA better"