We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Topic
5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

How many have noticed that TA has added about 5000 "new listings" in the restaurant section for Bangkok. Additions extend beyond Bangkok, as well.

Many of us have wanted to see a new addition or two to the listings for restos, hotels, and night spots. So it's nice to see TA being responsive, perhaps, to such wishes.

But some of the listings suggest that vetting of the source materials (some POI database(s) from wherever?) might be in order.

I was curious to see if there were any new listings that are favourites of mine. I went to the bottom of TA's restaurant list, and started working backwards (up the listings). Previous runs of this approach found, for example, the MBK Food Court with no reviews to that point - so I submitted one - apparently the first, of this legendary place. This time, there were (are) 226 pages of listings. SomboonDee Seafood, at #1383, is normally the lowest-rated/ranked Bangkok resto in TA, so this suggests that about 5400 restaurants in TA's current 6778 restos in Bangkok lack reviews. A gold rush of opportunity for the TA community!

The listings just below are included in the bottom 12 pages 388 institutions currently classed as restaurants by TA.

1. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - a nice place. If you've been there, a review might help others.

2. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - ditto.

3. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm, is this a duplicate of this one?:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1…

4. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm, a duplicate of this one?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1…

5. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm

6. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm, is this Hillary Bar #3 (or whatever the number of the Soi 11 branch), next to AVA just noted?

7. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm - checked the Bangkok Post listing to be sure..

8. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3… comment - hmmm. If someone looks farther, could one share with us what other "restaurants" might be included in this new list?

Someone else is welcome to continue on that path, to possibly uncover more, and possibly more intriguing, listings. (But, in a posting that I sent to TA staff on listing #8 above, I suggested that TA do a bit more due-diligence before posting such a collection of places - all placed in the "restaurant" category.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Results from this thread might be useful to TA staff on other forums, such as "Help us to make TA better"

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12104-o20-Help…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

So TA have pretty much gone and listed every single restaurant in the BKK yellow pages (or equivalent)? Another well thought through change by the TA powers that be.

Yes certainly sir, manipulation of the ranking system, coming right up. Would you like some fries with that?

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

fresh_prince_perth - seems to be the case. Lots of Starbucks, Swensens - and apparently bar beers, gogos and at least one G Club in the listings - for restaurants.

I've only been through 388 of the ~5000 new listings, so there's fertile ground for someone else to make more discoveries.

But, unfortunately, it's now difficult to see that SomboonDee Seafood, the perennially outstandingly loathed restaurant in Bangkok, is actually lowest-rated (or near to that distinction) as it has been for quite some time. After all, it's now in the top 20% of all listed restaurants in Bangkok!

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

EarthlingOnline,

You are a methodical researcher and you always come across as a considerate poster - thank you.

TA has been a good source of information for me and it has helped me widen my network of contacts.

After my opening premise, let me add this:

The various TA forums offer so much to so many.

They seem a great source of information first stop window.

However, in the four years or so that I have been using the forum/s, I have seen very limited improvements to its functionality (this small preformatted text box is a case in point).

Thus, it is regrettable to notice that they prioritise an alleged POI restaurant database over technological improvements.

This is not a criticism but hopefully a constructive feedback that some improvement is needed but not at the expense of credibility as we all come to love what TA has done and here is hoping it may do a lot more.

Best

Giorgio Federico

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

Georgio Federico,

Your suggestion that TA needs to improve its functionality, in the face of increasing content - could help a lot, IMHO.

I did a bit of surfing ('tediously mucking around' may be better wording, as there are no tools to help the user) through about half of those new 5000 resto listings. Seemingly dozens of Swensens (but no distinction to help the user see which one is referred to in each listing), a dozen or more Au Bon Pains, etc. One listing for "Mc Donol, Phaya Thai District, Bangkok". Reviewing this would be about the same as reviewing the one and only "7-11, Khlong Toey, Bangkok".

According to the list, "Calypso Cabaret" is (now) a restaurant. I wonder how many people patronize Calypso for the cuisine? Several more G clubs, karaokes, etc. beyond those noted in the OP are listed as restaurants. Imagine showing up at Pegasus with the wife and kids, imagining Greek cuisine? Or "The Bank" to use its ATM and have an appetizer on your way to Black Canyon for coffee and cake? Or the typically vaguely listed "Super Pu**y, Bang Rack District, Bangkok" wondering if it is a restaurant dedicated to the beautiful Korat Cat:

http://www.cfa.org/client/breedKorat.aspx

http://www.petfinder.com/cat-breeds/Korat-

Safe travels.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

BTW, though TA lists "Super Pu**y" as a restaurant, it won't let TA members use that name in a posting - calling it a profanity. LOL..

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3…

Edited: 11 January 2013, 02:13
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

So who's going to be first to review Super Pu**y? Any takers? lol

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

fresh_prince - maybe we could join up! (All others also welcome..) Draft itinerary (for any others to fix):

1. The Bank (for antipasto and to visit the ATM),

2. The Pent for soup,

3. Pagasus for moussaka,

4. Calypso Cabaret for a break from the high-rolling expenses of the first 3,

5. Super Pu**y for a Korat Cat (see #4 above).

If someone could bankroll numbers 1-3 and 5, I'll chip in for whatever we decided (within reason) to eat at Calypso.

Proposed output: reviews for each place, plus a JBR.

Edited: 11 January 2013, 03:12
London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

fresh-prince..let's not "split hairs" as to whose turn it is to review Super Pu**y...better not review it at all...what if the The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the UK's largest animal welfare charity, were to know about it? It would cause great concern would it not?

In any event, if I my Auntie Maria were to know that I lend my patronage to such places, it may cause misunderstanding...she is rather conservative and holds to her values dearly and may be end up having words not only with me but also with Father Giuseppe and I cannot even begin to imagine how many Pater Noster and Hail Marys I would then have to recite in penitence!!

Life's tough as a Roman Catholic and when heading to some places one ends up not seeing the wood for the trees!!

On a more somber note, given that TA has such a wide market share, how do they review their own practice? and how do our well meaning suggestions get taken on board? Do they have a feedback process?

Best

Giorgio Federico

Edited: 11 January 2013, 05:31
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

Earthling and Giorgio, will you by any chance be in Bangkok this June?

Cheers.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5000 new "restaurants" posted in TA's listings.

You could all meet up at Super Pu**y, purely to review it you understand. -:))