We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
33 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand

Hi

Me & my partner have our flights booked for thailand & we are planning to stop off in a few island. We are going for 3 weeks, planning to do as much sightseeing, eating, drinking & maybe a small bit of shopping on the way back in bangkok. Just wondering if anyone knows how much roughly would we need for spending? Hotels are sorted just wondering about spending money.

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand

Today is my Irish day.

I am morning the disappearance of a great poster here "bbtony" who hailed from the lovely island of Ireland.

Hence, I am giving preference to all things Irish today.

So either you were holding a shamrock when you posted this question or you are just lucky.

How long is a piece of string?

This is a difficult one because it depends on your life style and your requirements when abroad. Thailand can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

Consider this, you can eat street food on platic chairs for 35thb a portion or you can spend 600thb on a similar dish in a five star hotel on upholstered thrones.

Same with drinks. Buy a bottle of water at a seven eleven and spend less than ten baht . Buy it at a nice bar and be ready to part with 100 baht.

Shopping? What kind of shopping? Will you want to shop or Siam Paragon or Platinum Mall or Chatuchak Market?

Please understand that I am not being critical - just trying to raise your awareness. However, read a few threads here and you may draw some ideas and pick up some clues.

Also worth checking are those items listed on the right. They are called FAQ and many include contributions by bbtony (if you see his name, it is like a kitemark)

My comments are meant in a respectful way of course and I hope they help you.

Best

Giorgio Federico

p.s. Thailand's Islands?

milepoint.com/forums/…

Edited: 12 January 2013, 18:51
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand

Federico, you are completely mad LOL

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand

Oh and have just seen that the poor OP is new to here, might not be back LOL

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand

Now being serious. Federico has given you good advice as it's difficult to give you a figure but you can eat out quite cheaply, the only thing that is expensive is wine so if you stick to beer or cocktails.

When are you planning the trip?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand

£2000

Less if you don't hit expensive restaurants etc and are not wanting to drink heavily in tourist bars and if your shopping really consists of "a small bit of shopping on the way back in bangkok"

More if you like to eat in 5* hotels drink large quantities of imported drinks and shop like my ex wife!

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand

Yes Chrella, I am afraid you are right.

It is medically known as the madness of King George, a meditation on power and the metaphor of the body of state, based on the real episode of dementia.

The shock of bbtony leaving us was just too great for me to suffer. This was the last straw. The doctor and nurses are coming tomorrow to take me somewhere safe.

Only my auntie Maria knows where I shall be staying. However, do not fear, I shall escape at the first opportunity and head to Thailand for sure.

Wishful Dublin - I do hope that you have a sense of humour. The information is there in my post...somewhere...

Giorgio Federico

p.s Sometime I wish I could be sensible like LondonChris...alas no chance!!

Edited: 12 January 2013, 19:08
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand

I just came back from a 24 day break to Koh Chang, Koh Kood, Pattaya and Bangkok and for two people we spent about 1700 Baht per day as all the accommodation was paid for and we spent a lot of time lazing around on the beach This would be equivalent to about GBP700 for your trip, so I think this would be your minimum.

If you are are big drinker, will be eating your meals in the hotel or take heaps of tours then you could double or treble this. (In fact breakfast alone in some hotels will cost 1600 Baht for two people per day (if it is not in the room rate).

My best guess would be GBP1400-2100.

Hope this helps

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand

There are many posts on "how much money" type questions. You can use the search choice above.

Every one spends money differently. If you under estimate your spending money you can get more from an ATM since you can use debit and credit cards in Thai ATM's.

I usually find that travelers often choose hotels that reflect their daily budgets. So, backpackers in cheap hostels usually don't have too much extra money to blow on expensive meals and drinking. On the other hand tourists in more expensive hotels usually have more money to waste in more expensive restaurants and nightclubs. So have at least the same amount of money available that you are spending on your hotel room for a start.

Remember to notify your bank that you will be overseas using their credit or debit cards in Thailand before you leave home.

9. Re: Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 05:16