We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very soon now -- packing advice please

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Very soon now -- packing advice please

Hi everyone,

We'll be arriving in Bangkok on Jan 28th -- it's our first time so, needless to say, we're getting excited! I'm alittle uncertain about what temperatures to expect. It seems like it will be warm (90+ degrees F, right?) And yet many TA postings say to wear long sleeves! Suggestions would be appreciated re: what those of you who travel to BKK regularly tend to wear -- many thanks!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

Yes it will be hot. Posts mentioning long sleeves are most likely giving advice on suitable wear for the Grand Palace and other temples, or how to avoid insect bites at night time.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

Long sleeves or at least a t shirt that covers the shoulders required for Grand Palace, but also lightweight long sleeves are good for avoiding sunburn and mosquitoes (during the evening) - you certainly won't need them to keep you warm: ) I always carry around a lightweight scarf incase I want to go into a temple during the day so I can cover my shoulders or to keep me warm in the severely air conditioned shopping malls.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

Pack very lightweight clothing as it is hot and humid and thicker fabrics just make you feel too hot. Shorts, t-shirts, light sundresses & floaty cover-ups (for ladies) etc are perfect. As Cass said, a long-sleeved shirt is handy for temples etc or at night if you want to avoid mosquitoes - just make sure it is lighweight cotton etc rather than heavier or synthetic fabrics. You can also buy dresses, cover-ups, t-shirts etc there so pack lightly so that you have room to bring stuff back.

I found on our last trip that I didn't wear half of what I took as the 3/4 pants in particular were too hot to wear.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

Also when packing bear in mind that getting laundry done in Thailand is VERY cheap, so you can re wear clothes and don't need different outfits for every day.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

Very comfortable walking shoes are an absolute must. Don't bother packing any fancy shoes as the pavements are often broken. Also it's a good idea to leave the bling at home. I usually just wear a cheap copy watch and my wedding ring.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

You can come with very little clothes or bling. Get scam Tut Tut to take you to a tailors and gem shop :-)).

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

I live here. I wear long sleeve and big boy pants. Most people, from these climates, will cover up when spending time outside.

I would leave the mukluks and snorkel parka home though.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

Ex Officio has some great clothing for travel in such climates. Some even have insect repellent built in!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/womens-hiking-and-travel-shirts~d~564/

colchester
Level Contributor
583 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

wish I knew about that website a couple of days ago October ... will be adding that to my fave's ... thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very soon now -- packing advice please

When I was back in the States, I used Sierra Trading for most of my gear. They have some great clearance items.